My Amp Family. Post yours...

Midlife Rocker

• Members

How do you like the "red knob" Dual Showman? Do you run it through the Marshall cabinet?

I had "The Twin" for a while and liked it a lot but got tired of lugging it around. I recorded one album with it and used the studio's 4x12 Hiwatt cabinet and it worked really well.The studio had a 15 lb Norlin era Les Paul Custom that I used a lot for that project. It was a very good fit with the amp.

• Members

I keep my amps all around the house so getting the group together took some effort. The Ampeg weighs 50 lbs , 2x12 cab is all heavy duty the Princeton Chorus is no lightweight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_117529_1461178816182_859[/ATTACH]

The Princeton Chorus is my go to amp . The Mustang is on my desk but also sounds pretty good through the home stereo system. The Ampeg is only used on rare occaisions and the Marshall is in the basement near the pool table. The cab is made from scrap wood and speakers from an old Conn organ. . When I showed it to a frieend he said it sounded pretty good and asked what amp I was using. I told him the Gorilla and of course he didin't believe me so I tol him to follow the cables. Even after seeing it for himself he couldn't believe it. Just one of thoe freak things I guess.

• Members
How do you like the "red knob" Dual Showman? Do you run it through the Marshall cabinet?

I had "The Twin" for a while and liked it a lot but got tired of lugging it around. I recorded one album with it and used the studio's 4x12 Hiwatt cabinet and it worked really well.The studio had a 15 lb Norlin era Les Paul Custom that I used a lot for that project. It was a very good fit with the amp.

Mine is actually a "The Twin". I got it from Jim Thomas of the Mermen. The grill badge says Dual Showman, but the chassis is a Red Knob Twin. It's a great amp! The model has had a lot of bad press, but, if Jim used these for years, and they sound awesome. I was just lucky to score one from him. I use it for surf tunes, and some classic rock stuff. It's a beast to move, though.

• Members

Mine is actually a "The Twin". I got it from Jim Thomas of the Mermen. The grill badge says Dual Showman, but the chassis is a Red Knob Twin. It's a great amp! The model has had a lot of bad press, but, if Jim used these for years, and they sound awesome. I was just lucky to score one from him. I use it for surf tunes, and some classic rock stuff. It's a beast to move, though.

I see it now - the Dual Showman doesn't have the Reverb knob between the Notch Switch (Reverb Select) and the Power switches.

My Twin was even more than a beast because I put a pair of EVM12L speakers in it - but it sounded good with the EVs. I used to joke and say I put the big spacers in it to get "that heavy sound."

Those amps have 1 Ohm 1 Watt resistors between the Cathodes of each pair of power tubes and ground with test points on the back of the unit to measure the voltage across the resistors. Because the resistors are 1 Ohm the voltage reading corresponds directly to the current flowing through the tubes, so a 40 mV reading also means 40 mA of current.

I got my amp cheap because it had this horrible nasty distortion going on. When I went to check the bias test points on the back, the reading on one side was 4 Volts rather than 40 mV. One of the 1 Ohm resistors had changed value and went way up in value (or just opened up) and through the push-pull circuit out of balance. A quick trip to Radio Shack to pick up a couple of 1 Ohm 2 Watt resistors resulted in a really nice, albeit extremely heavy, amplifier that I used for many years of live and recording work.

• Members

Amp-wise, I have remained VERY consistent during the last dozen years or so.

Carvin SX100. LOVES singles, hates hums, I use it in stereo with a Boss GT6

Top: My Roland BC60. Had it forever, and LOVE it to death, replaced grill cloth.Bottom, my old trusty Roland BN60 Bass amp. Not the greatest at loud venues, but does the job.

Yamaha THR10. On workbench, which I apologize, it's a mess.

27b9ba699cd6e2a3c8e877dccb18aa90.thumb.JPG.0607a8c880b3e9ea38cfce69bebbf035.JPG

c19adbadb06e2bb575dd386c4f6c1713.thumb.JPG.c8fc4bce3ee185d76c93aff750cb3fe4.JPG

32629e2806534eb22ae1d47ded34f8bf.thumb.JPG.b457f59a4120ce1596c7060592fdfb67.JPG

Archived