12 Hour Storm so far

WRGKMC

• Members

We been having a violent non stop Thunderstorm since about 7 last night here in Houston and they've had several Tornado warning going off too. They're predicting 500 year historic flooding because this isn't likely to end till after Tuesday. This thing came out of nowhere and once again, the weather stations failed to predict this event.

I'm glad it will be light here shortly. High water in daylight isn't as bad cause you can see it. At night its not something you don't want to experience.

Its likely going to take another 6 hours before it tapers off a little. Then it starts up again tonight. Normal thunderstorms have a peak where the rainfall is greatest for maybe an hour. These kind of tropical storms are non stop. The rain just train over the same area dumping massive amounts of water in such a short period of time, it has no time to drain.

I'm luckier then many who live in Houston. My neighborhood entrances may flood but house is on higher ground so I don't predict a problem with the house (at least not yet) I'm not going to try go to work till daylight. I live only a few miles from work but the roads between here and there are another story. In daylight you can at least look ahead and turn around if it looks bad.

• Members

In Austin. Saturday morning, the radio said we and the surrounding counties were under a Flash Flood Watch... until TUESDAY. I've never heard a 3-day flood-watch before. That storm that dumped FEET of snow in the Denver area is raining on us... This morning I heard that LaGrange, TX (between San Antonio and Houston) got 11 inches of rain. Yesterday. It also rained Saturday, and is still raining today. El Nino, indeed.

• Moderators
W

I'm luckier then many who live in Houston. My neighborhood entrances may flood but house is on higher ground so I don't predict a problem with the house (at least not yet) I'm not going to try go to work till daylight. I live only a few miles from work but the roads between here and there are another story. In daylight you can at least look ahead and turn around if it looks bad.

Stay safe man, keep them hatches battened

• Members

^^^^ You're lucky to see any national news coverage when Houston, the 4th largest city in the US has a problem. There's allot of media bias against this state because people tend to be more independent and less reliant on the government. (They have to be considering the state is so large)

The flooding affected over 3500 square miles and considered to be a once in 500 year event. In comparison, A state like Delaware is only 2,489 sq mi in size and would be completely submerged.

If this was some other city like Chicago you'd have non stop coverage 24/7. I think the difference comes down to people here being self reliant. They don't wait for the government to come help them. There were hundreds of rescues made by normal citizens all day long yesterday and you'd only know it if you watched the local news.

I was boxed into my neighborhood till about 2 when the water went down enough on one of the access streets. We didn't have much rain last night so many of the local streets in my area are open now. I was lucky but many of my friends weren't.

I have one friend that wound up with 4' of water in his house. I'll likely stop buy with a cold 12 pack after work and give him a hand tearing out some of the wet carpets and furniture. The sooner all that wet stuff is removed and the outlets dried so they can get power back on. Their AC compressor is likely toast so that's a big deal too with the summer coming. Even washing you cloths is a problem unless you do it by hand. Its like being back in the stone age when you have no power.

I have another friend who left his pickup truck at work here that wound up getting submerged, It actually floated half way across the parking lot. No water in the business itself though. It would really suck having to go to work and deal with that. Our company is going to be busy doing insurance claims on unrepairable electronic gear that wound up being submerged in all these businesses. Happens every time after a major flood like this. .

• Members

Your area is the lead story on tonight's news (you trumped trump). Doesn't look like fun...

I've been lucky where I live in north jersey but have a friend who lives not far from me that had 5 feet of water in his house after hurricane Irene.

Flooding sucks...

Try & stay dry!

Archived