Anyone know this guitar?

Rothstaman

• Members

With no logo on the headstock, it's likely a generic 70's Japanese build, or somebody's homemade partscaster. It would appear to be a duo-sonic body and bridge with a tele deluxe controls, regular humbuckers (as opposed to Fender wide-range) and an aftermarket neck. May or may not be short scale. Pretty cool axe.

• Members

Whatever it is, I certainly think it's pretty cool looking. It's got a lot of the look that made me buy an Elvis Costello Jazzmaster, except the one you posted has much more of a vintage vibe to it.

I'll be curious to know what it is, and what it's got in it if it's ever ID'd

• Members

Wow, I just did some internet sleuthing and found that listing. The bid price is sure a lot more than I ever would have guessed for an unbranded/unknown guitar make/model.

Either someone knows what it is and is excited to get it, or they were imbibing a bit too much when they decided to go internet shopping. Like they said recently in an article I was reading, "on-line sales for pricey items [like women's designer shoes] skyrocket late on Friday nights once the tail end of excess wine consumption kicks in. smiley-wink

• Members

The other pics on the listing site are much more helpful. It's likely a pre-cbs duo sonic, or at least started life as one. I think the bids are pretty high considering the molestation. It has little value as a vintage instrument with the refin and routing that would be necessary for the humbuckers and control layout. The mods look well done, but it's more risk than I would take for that price tag.

• Members

I think it might be gone now. I didn't want to post the link earlier in case the OP wanted to go for it (i.e. didn't want to create extra bidding competition for him), but I could see the background had the Goodwill logo so I searched their electric guitars http://www.shopgoodwill.com/search/S...emSellerStore=

But I can't find it now. Might be sold. But the bidding was already over $800

• Members
Lawsuit era. What was your point?

Simple: it's either before the lawsuit, when it would have a gibby headstock, or after the lawsuit, when it had a non gibby headstock. Post lawsuit can apply to a guitar made in 77, or last week. The term "lawsuit era"was coined by idiot dealers trying to get people to pay premium prices for barely average guitars.

• Members

And the lawsuit was only between Gibson and Ibanez (actually their US importer). Not the hundreds of other vaguely Gibson-like Japanese guitars of varying quality. Gibson's big beef was with Ibanez using their headstock shape on guitars that actually competed in quality with their own in the 70's. Ibanez acquiesced, which lead them to come up with all of those great late 70's original designs.

Point being, it's rather disingenuous to call a guitar that isn't a pre-1977 Ibanez a "lawsuit guitar".

• Members

Ibanez guitars were marketed in different countries under different names.

I had a Mansfield Goldtop Les Paul copy in the early '70s. It was quite a nice guitar but I wanted a "real" Gibson so I sold it and bought one of those awful SG III guitars because it had Gibson on the headstock.

original.jpg

gibson-sg-iii.jpg?itok=JchGzS8Z

Archived