anybody use this setup?

mbengs1

• Members

effects processor ----> power amp -------> cabinet ?

i'm thinking of doing this instead of using a bunch of pedals into an amp.

will a solid state power amp with an effects rack like a digitech gsp1101 work well? what's a good sounding solid state power amp? from my experience, amp modeling does not sound good through a tube amp.

• Members

I had a guitarist who ran his Boss floor unit into a crown stereo power head which drove two cabs loaded with low wattage Celestion.

The amp itself was tonally neutral without hills an valleys. Most guitar amps are anything but flat in response. He was very good at dialing up his tones and effects to model amp tones using this rig. The Low end Celestion green backs helped there. I used one of his cabs at a gig and the speakers were similar to a set I owned back in the 70's. They lacked highs and deep lows and had strong mids. This choice of speakers gave him allot of normal amp tone which is mostly midrange.

His rig set up with his own presets which he was very good at programing to nail cover music. He wrote computer software for a living and had a thorough understanding of how to get the most from that boss unit. That's a key item to getting realistic tones from any preamp effects processor connected to any amp.

I played through his rig a couple of times. I could get by using it if I had allot of time to build my own presets that matched my guitars and tone preferences. I already get those using my own rigs however and I don't have to mess with all those patches.

I use programmable effects recording where I have the time to dial up what I want. They are too restrictive for me playing live however. When I play out, the room acoustics influence the sounds allot. Whatever I may have dialed up in a rehersal room isn't going to sound anywhere close to what I had set as ideal. I use floor pedals and a normal amp live because I can tweak a few knobs and compensate for the room to get my tones. That's not something you are going to be able to do with a programmable unit when you only have a short time to set up and play.

• Members

You can do it but you're probably going to want to tweak your sounds quite a bit.

Have you thought about using powered speakers? There are some systems designed for modelers. It may be easier to move around.

There are also some power amps designed for rack systems. Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Peavey, etc... have all made these types of products at some point.

Instead of an effects processor you should probably look into something like a POD, Eleven, etc.... You could add an effects processor in the loop of your modeler if you chose to.

• Members

I feel like maybe I'm alone here in my response, but I'd just say, "h#ll yeah".

The fx processor you mentioned above has amp and cab modeling in it,so all you should really need is a power amp and some PA speakers (or just some powered PA speakers). And of course a guitar cabinet would work too, but may provide some more of its own coloration.

Back in my "lounge lizard days" I saw more performers using that type of set up than guitar amps. It provides better sound dispersion and frees up some needed footprint space on a small stage, plus less gear to lug around.

That being said, I've got an Eleven Rack that I haven't really even gotten out of the box yet due to space issues, but I have had some good luck with running lines out of smaller digital modeling amps, a Vox ToneLab and my Tech 21 SansAmp Character pedals into a powered PA. That doesn't mean I don't prefer using a tube amps for their tone, but the other rout frees up your space. I think if I'd gotten into that type of setup earlier, it would have saved me from a fair share of the "amp clutter" I've now got in my home for different tones, volumes, character, etc.

It's a nice setup for performers for when they are going to play at venues where PA speakers are already provided.

• Members

I gigged for a couple years with a modeler (AxeFX) straight into the PA, with some guitar in the monitor. Didn't have an amp or cabinet onstage. It worked fine, and I was a little surprised at the number of people who commented positively on my sound.

I have also used a powered PA speaker as a monitor, but not often.

That said, I've never found a mulit-fx rig to sound 'right' to my ears. Even tried a few different iterations of the POD, and I can definitely hear and feel a difference compared to the AxeFX, and my tube amps.

Now, I'm not needing the 3 or 4 different amp models in the AxeFX live, so just carry a tweed deluxe.

• Members

A typical guitar amp will only produce something close to a "flat" frequency response with the bass and treble turned all the way down and the midrange turned all the way up. Then add in the response curves of the speaker(s), which aren't flat either. A modeller is designed to produce a given amp model through a generic amp, which means there are assumptions in play. If you have the option to use a record out from your modeller into the power amp it will help because it will reproduce the effects of the hypothetical amp's preamp. I'd avoid cab modelling of you have it because it will conflict with the response of your actual cab.

• Members
You can run the modeller into the return of the effects loop to just use the power amp section of the tube amp with some amps.

That way you avoid the preamp fighting with the amp model preamp (the "does not sound good" above).

I tried plugging into the return of my bugera head and it didnt work. couldnt control the volume or something.

• Members
I tried plugging into the return of my bugera head and it didnt work. couldnt control the volume or something.

Your Bugera probably has the send/return after the gain controls. You'll need to use the volume control on your guitar or on your modeller if it has one.

• Members

I've been using a Boss ME-25 for a couple of years. For recording, I use the speaker emulated headphone/line output and plug it directly into my recording mixer.

I also have a Fender Mustang IV amplifier with a stereo effects loop. I plug the regular output of the ME-25 into the stereo return of the amplifier. Fortunately, the Master Volume on the amplifier is after the effects return.

The ME-25 is a great little multi-effects processor. I bought it because it promised to be "the easiest way to sound like a pro".

• Members

The line6 setup box/guitar in conjunction with TC vocal stuff and loopers; all through powered monitors is the best setup I've heard live. It strikes me a little bit like operating the USSS Enterprise solo but presuming you can fly it, it's the future.

• Members

I play through a Boss ME50, which I love, and then through a Fender Blues JR that is miked. Had a band practice where I went straight into PA and it sounded OK but was lacking something. Mostly sustain and natural breakup. I am going to try running my rig through an amp modeler into the PA next time we practice. The second guitarist in this band plays through a pedal board into an damp modeler and into PA with no amp and generally sounds pretty good. We play a lot of club dates, mostly mid sized rooms with a few small ones and a few really big ones thrown in. PA is 1000watt powered Yamahas with a sub woofer. With the Blues Jr. I keep my stage volume fairly low and we put some in the monitors. Helps everyone hear better, including myself.

• Members

Try using the headphone output of your ME50 and running it through your PA in stereo.

I run my ME25 that way and find it to be a big improvement over the main outputs. I think the difference is because the headphone out uses speaker emulation and the main outputs are designed to run through an amplifier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I recently saw a good Bon Jovi tribute band (I hate BJ but my wife and daughter love them...and it was free so what the heck)....anyway the entire band was going straight into the sound system with ZERO amps anywhere to be seen. They had an excellent PA and obviously an excellent sound man...because they sounded great as far as quality of sound. When done right, amps really are not needed anymore. I don't know what the guitarist was using, but it was definitely a single multi fx unit...the stage was high so I couldn't see enough to know which one. The bass particularly sounded great, and the guitarist was able to sound very close to the original songs.

Archived