No announcement yet.

Pick that sounds and feels like a fingernail

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick that sounds and feels like a fingernail

This was inspired by mbengs1's Dunlop picks thread. Is there a pick that duplicates the sound and strumming feel of a fingernail? I keep my nails short and when I'm couch noodling I strum with the back of the nail on my right index finger. I realize part of the sound and feel is the flesh behind the nail so it would probably be tricky to duplicate but I'd like to try. Tortoid/celluloid doesn't do it, neither does nylon, which is my preferred pick at the moment. Suggestions anyone?
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Seems like I remember seeing some that were made out of some sort of pressed fiber, but I can't remember now what brand those were. But I think that was their intent. Or was that a dream?
    A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
    HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
    Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
    I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

What's wrong with fingernail? I also strum with the back of my nails but I keep them just a little bit longer than you describe because my normal playing style is flesh and nails finger picking. Obviously acrylic nails are an opinion if for some reason you can't grow yours out.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman Keller View Post
        What's wrong with fingernail?
        My fingernails are worn thin from strumming with the back of them. As a result. picking with the nail quickly wears them down and the wear is uneven because the thickness of the nail is not consistent.

I have a classical guitarist friend who flat out refuses to play steel stringed instruments. I used to bug him about it but now I completely understand.

I do, however, love playing a slightly overdriven strat with my fingernails and really digging in to get the crunch. By the end of the evening my nails are done but with the right amount of gain on the amplifier, it's worth it.
        As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
        from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

I often strum my acoustics shaping my index and thumb like I'm holding a pick which quickly allows me to deviate and use all fingers individually for fingerpicking. It's a softer sound but I prefer warmer sounding instruments so it works for me.
          MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

Ultex feels and sounds like that to me. .73mm especially as they have a bit of give like a nail.

Comment

I'm not sure if they are actually still in business, but...

I've had a set of Alaska Picks for a while.

Comment

Grow a big toenail and see if that'll do.
                Purists that have tried and abandoned this because it sounds like a toenail, die.
                Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Also hoof picks.
                  Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

For feel, I would definitely try something like the above. For sound, try the Tusq picks. Probably the darker ones. Tusq is a material manufactured to be a synthetic replacement for bone, used in nuts, bridge pins, saddles and the like.

Comment

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
                      Editing a comment
                      Bone is calcium and mineral, finger nails are keratin, same material as your hair, and incidentally animal horns, so picks made from cow horns etc would be good

Try striking up a conversation with your local morgue supervisor.

It's worked for me for a few difficult to obtain items:-|
                    Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

• gdsmithtx
                      gdsmithtx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ummmm. Eww.

• DeepEnd
                      DeepEnd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey, Ratae started it.

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
                      Editing a comment
                      Guilty as charged m'lud

NEW Cadaver® brand plectrums! Bring some life back to your sound with some mojo from the spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman Keller View Post
                      . . . . . What's wrong with fingernail? I also strum with the back of my nails but I keep them just a little bit longer than you describe because my normal playing style is flesh and nails finger picking. . . . . . . .
                      Same here ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I have a few different picks but rarely use them.
                      Howard

Comment

For all the advantages that fingernails have over a pick there are some things that a pick does better and some that you just can't do properly with nails. I use nails, pick, and pick + nails depending on the song.

Comment

Originally posted by koiwoi View Post
                          For all the advantages that fingernails have over a pick there are some things that a pick does better and some that you just can't do properly with nails. I use nails, pick, and pick + nails depending on the song.
                          That's where I'm at too, although I'm not really proficient at the pick + nails technique. But having had some lessons in classical guitar, I like to use my fingernails most of the time. But no way could I come close to playing something like Misirlou without a stout pick.

Yesterday I was trying to find the type of pick I mentioned above (but no luck) but I did find this little article which I thought was a good write up of the different shapes and materials. Some of this stuff we all know to some degree, but I'd never seen a synopsis that was quite as articulate as this one before.
                          http://www.creativeedgemusic.com/201...your-pick.html

A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                          HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                          Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                          I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Working...
                          X