Funny way you learn the name (note) of each string

BiggRedd

• Members

When I took guitar lessons briefly about 20 years ago there is one thing that stuck with me and figured I'd see how other people memorize which string is which:

e - Easter

b - Bunny

g - Gets

d - Drunk

a - After

e - Easter

• Members

Good thread because what I came up with was a horrible bastardization of some other mnemonic, i.e. the "Every Boy Does Fine"

Mine was/is [low to high]

Every

A**hole

Does

Good

Before

Eating

Sounds developmentally challenged I know, but I had to come up with something, and I was in a pinch to try to find a classic version, so that was the best I did on a spur of a moment many years ago.

I like yours much better BiggRedd

smiley-wink

• Members

I learned a memory trick when I leaned my color codes for resistors. The original sentence for them is Bad Boys Ruin Our Girls But Violet Gives Willingly for Silver and Gold

The problem with that memory technique is, you have to constantly count through that sentence to figure out the numbers, Plus Bad and Boys are both B words. You may forget which is black and brown.

A much better technique involves rhyming words, something musicians should be good at. It involved rhyming the words to the numbers so you don't have to go through some long sentence, count the words then figure the numbers.

An example would be Orange Tree = 3 or White Wine = 9 Yellow Door =4 Green $5 Bill = 5 etc

Using color picture association will instantly give you identification

Strings might be a bit tougher because they aren't colored, but you can probably do the same thing.

I just made a couple up off the top of my head. Example,

Easy gun = One

Two be or not 2 B = 2 B

G is easy because it rhymes with 3 3 = G or G = 3

Same thing with D, For-dee (Fourty) can be 4 = D

You can invent your own, the more ridiculous the better because you'll be able to remember them many years after you've forgotten a long line expression.

Another method that's supposed to work for long term memory is associating them to sexual/obscene words but I don't thing that's going to please the moderators.

• Members
I learned a memory trick when I leaned my color codes for resistors. The original sentence for them is Bad Boys Ruin Our Girls But Violet Gives Willingly for Silver and Gold

When I was learning resistor color codes I was taught;

Bad (black)

Booze (brown)

Rots (red)

Out (orange)

Your (yellow)

Gut (green)

But (blue)

Vodka (violet)

Goes (grey)

Well (white)

Get (gold)

Some (silver)

Now (no stripe)

Don't remember a lot of my electronics training as I wound up selling real estate for a living but ill always remember resistor values because of this...

• Members

I just learned them.

I did learn "Every Good Boy Does Fine" and FACE when I was young reading treble clef, but the strings I just learned.

A mnemonic for fret dots in each position or on each sting would be a help, but how do you create a mnemonic for a flat or sharp? Any ideas?

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

When I was learning resistor color codes I was taught;

Bad (black)

Booze (brown)

Rots (red)

Out (orange)

Your (yellow)

Gut (green)

But (blue)

Vodka (violet)

Goes (grey)

Well (white)

Get (gold)

Some (silver)

Now (no stripe)

Don't remember a lot of my electronics training as I wound up selling real estate for a living but ill always remember resistor values because of this...

The one that stuck with me was.

black

a word beginning with B

rape

our

young

girls

but

virgins

go without

Very Pc incorrect but it stuck.

• Members
When I took guitar lessons briefly about 20 years ago there is one thing that stuck with me and figured I'd see how other people memorize which string is which:

e - Easter

b - Bunny

g - Gets

d - Drunk

a - After

e - Easter

Seen loads of these but never one starting bottom up.

Archived