Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end of guitar buyer's guide "bikini models"?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of guitar buyer's guide "bikini models"?

https://reverb.com/news/guitar-world...eid=ddb94dbcf7

So what do you think? Is this a good thing and is it "about time", or do you think this is PC gone amok? Will this change help encourage more females to pick up the instrument?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Personally, I think PC has gone insane. No one I know of, male and female alike had any issues with the swimsuit editions of just about anything. Did it sell guitars? Somehow I doubt a scantily clad girl holding a Paul made that many more sales. It seriously has gotten stupid in America.
    My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
    Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

I never really paid much attention to the models and when I did I thought they just looked cheesy. As a mainly acoustic guy, there was never a whole lot to see anyway since the buying guides were always electric-centric. If you're getting a lot of complaints maybe reconsider or hey, put a few male models in the mix for a more balanced perspective.
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Member of the Schecter Society
      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Maybe it is a sexist attitude and maybe a woman should have the same right to go with no shirt that a man does
        It's PC goe amok

Comment

While I fully support equal rights for scantily clad women, I will say that I was never, not once, enticed to buy the buyer's guide because of them. I know on the internet pics of hot women and guitars go together like peanut butter and jelly, but I just don't care to have a magazine of it. And trying to disguise it as a buyer's guide? Come on, just make a swimsuit edition like SI does and stop pretending.
          Signature...

Comment

Originally posted by RaVenCAD View Post
            While I fully support equal rights for scantily clad women, I will say that I was never, not once, enticed to buy the buyer's guide because of them. I know on the internet pics of hot women and guitars go together like peanut butter and jelly, but I just don't care to have a magazine of it. And trying to disguise it as a buyer's guide? Come on, just make a swimsuit edition like SI does and stop pretending.
            Have you ever been to a NAMM Show? There used to be a couple of booths that had some of those scantily clad young ladies that they'd feature in their guitar ads in attendance - and invariably there would be a long line of (mostly) middle-aged men lined up to get their picture taken with them. It's something I haven't noticed or seen happening for a few years though.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• RaVenCAD
              RaVenCAD commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't been to NAMM, but I've been to tradeshows for my industry (powersports) and there was a very definite line of off demarcation on the T&A. One year I went and they had the dance group from that Wild Horse saloon shows doing a strip tease act right in the middle of the main floor.. There was also the booth that had their own stripper who let people peel off her costume that consisted entirely of stickers. The next year, very few girls and the few that were there were totally covered in non-sexy outfits. The next year, the event provided booth babes that would walk from booth to booth to take photos with attendees. Not surprisingly, attendance took a nose dive and the show moved from Indianapolis to Orlando.

"Sex Sells" is more time honored and enduring than any brief flirtation with PC ads for gear.

Although I only bought one Dean guitar, as a starter git for a nephew, the thread title immediately reminded me of my all time favorite ads featuring a bit of our species' primal yearning.

I mean, it's totally ridiculous, but I totally love this ad.

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Innuendo, beauty, allure, and emotion, and the guitar's not bad looking either. ;^)
            Last edited by GAS Man; 04-04-2016, 06:06 PM.
            A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
            HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
            Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
            I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

I'd rather look @ real female players.

Comment

It all seems pretty juvenile, and a little seedy and sad. Maybe they're just trying to pander to teen boys and "adult" guitarists still living in mom's basement. It's a wonder they're still in print at all. Not to mention, they tend to use cut-rate bimbo models clad in outfits that belong in 80's hair metal videos. By removing the bimbos from the ads, they're not being PC, they're catching up to two decades ago. If I want to look at scantily clad, or better yet, naked women, I can get a magazine a couple of racks up. Or, I can look at it for free on the Internet, along with a bunch of unbiased guitar reviews.

And to all you people saying PC is ruining America - get a ****************ing clue. Corruption, a widening income gap, declining education, and failing infrastructure are ruining America. Sure, there are people who take the PC thing too far and go looking for excuses to be offended. Those people have always, and will always exist. For most enlightened people though, I think PC means thinking before you open your fat mouth and not being an a$$h013 to others. It's basically "do unto others..." Or if you prefer, "if you don't have anything nice to say..." That's stuff you should have learned with a good upbringing. I'm not sure how that is making things unbearable for you. Nobody's taking away your freedom of speech, they're simply suggesting you not be a racist/sexist/bigoted halfwit. Or if you have to be, keep it to your f'ing self.

Comment

• DeepEnd
                  DeepEnd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. At last, a voice of reason.

• slodge
                  slodge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Amen.

Originally posted by humbuckerstrat View Post
                I'd rather look @ real female players.
                There was a great thread, either here or at Guitar Jam, I think Brian Krashpad started it, that was all just pictures of women who actually played guitar. I agree. Way more sex appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by speakerjones View Post

There was a great thread, either here or at Guitar Jam, I think Brian Krashpad started it, that was all just pictures of women who actually played guitar. I agree. Way more sex appeal.
                  I only remember Krashpad for posting numerous pictures of himself, lol.
                  MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

I've never purchased a guitar because I saw a picture of a woman (clothed or not) holding that particular model.

Actually, I've never bought a guitar magazine because of a picture of a woman holding a guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by speakerjones View Post

These days there are a lot of women who actually play the guitar.

Comment

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Looks like April Fools to me.
                          Bob "Notes" Norton
                          Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
                          Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
                          The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Working...
                          X