No announcement yet.

Favorite tonewood?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite tonewood?

Let's say for a body, to make it more specific.

Me? Mahogany. I'm just pulled to a warmer sounding guitar, every time. Doesn't matter if it's a Les Paul, Tele, Strat... I love my mahogany.

What about you? What do you like and what don't you like?
    MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Another tone wood thread? Seems like there's one a month and they all wind up being the same with people arguing whether wood type matters. Maybe we could skip the tone arguments and just go for how it looks this time?

Comment

• billybilly
      billybilly commented
      Editing a comment
      Make your own thread or contribute...

1.Korina
    2.Mahogany
    3.Swamp Ash

Comment

• billybilly
      billybilly commented
      Editing a comment
      I really want to try a Korina guitar, been meaning to for some time.

Swamp ash, entirely subjective, I just happen to like Strats, and never heard a Strat I liked made out of anything but ash
    Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

• billybilly
      billybilly commented
      Editing a comment
      It is nice in a strat for sure.

Ash bubbles. Pick and the tone appears like a bubble. You can coax that out to varying degrees from all kinds of Strats I suppose, but blonde swamp ash models seem to be zoned for it.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

I'll always gravitate to something mahogany and a maple top. My Les Paul - mahogany with a maple top. My Carvin CT4C - mahogany with a maple top. My B.C. Rich Warlock - mahogany with a maple top. Notice a trend? Yeah... It's just a beautiful thing.
      Signature...

Comment

It depends on the guitar....

Comment

I'm partial to alder for Strats and straight mahogany for hums. But I have all types and enjoy all types. Currently without any basswood and swamp ash. I've had three guitars made of swamp ash and they were all amazing in the sound department - just a few niggling complaints in other areas, hence no longer with me. May never find another one I can afford though as swamp ash seems to be going through the roof.
          "Prayer is when you talk to God. Meditation is when you're listening. Playing the piano ['guitar'] allows you to do both at the same time." -Kelsey Grammer

Comment

Plywood, you want to discuss favorite layering glues?

Comment

Originally posted by Chordite View Post
              Toneglue?
              “One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching”
              Gerard Way

Comment

Originally posted by Chordite View Post

Originally posted by knotty View Post

Toneglue?
                You jest but traditionalists like hide glue
                MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

My favorite semi hollow guitar at the moment is made of antique woods. Solid walnut top, Rosewood back and maple sides. I had a guy offer me $1200 for it and turned him down. I'll never be able to build another like it and have it sound the same.

Finding 200 year old Walnut and Rosewood like that just isn't going to happen for me. When wood gets that old its dam near petrified. I burnt a Dremil out completely just cutting the pickup holes. Most of that was just burning through the wood because the router bits went dull so quick.
                  Last edited by WRGKMC; 02-18-2016, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• billybilly
                    billybilly commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Walnut's another I'd like to try.

• WRGKMC
                    WRGKMC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Its a hard dense wood, harder then Mahogany. Its is easily chipped like ebony. Its tone is much brighter then you'd think. It produces both a deep bass tones, bright upper mids and snappy highs. It doesn't do as well with the lower mids compared to maple or mahogany so its not everyone's cup of tea. Using a tele neck was a wise choice for me. Beautiful wood though. It was always one of my favorites for looks.

George Harrison used a walnut Tele. His slide tones were unique because of that. Mind has a good deal of those same kinds of tones, but its also a semi so its a bit thinner sounding wood wise. The mini HB's provide enough beef however.
                    Last edited by WRGKMC; 02-18-2016, 04:42 PM.

• speakerjones
                    speakerjones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    George Harrison used a rosewood Tele, not walnut.

My Mustang is made of poplar. My Epi Les Paul Custom is several pieces of mahogany with a maple top. They both sound great to me.

I'd love to hear a maple strat. Rickenbackers are usually all maple, and they sound twangy with a little more girth.

Comment

Wood that has been graded as AAAA for tone by a master. Species is unimportant to me.

Comment

I'm a wood slut. I want it to be drop dead gorgeous.

Test - how many of them can you identify?
                      Last edited by Freeman Keller; 02-18-2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X