Surf's Up Stratocaster

vonrang

• Members

Here is my Surf's Up Stratocaster build. This uses a modified version of my Tri-Sound Strat schematic along with a Graphtech Ghost Floyd Rose Bridge, LRBaggs CTRL-X preamp and SD Cool Rails neck, Vintage Rails middle and Hot Rails bridge with mini switches for parallel, split and series function along with a blending pot for mixing piezo output with the magnetic pickups. This guitar also has mono/stereo output.

8a7d4cbd05d1aed808e5b1bbbfeeae2b.thumb.jpg.c475a15c7ffec02e6a3d9dde286c9d06.jpg

e7d74286e4c2116b213a5729ff5d108a.thumb.jpg.6ab97bee4e5009b0034c872b39d4a4ee.jpg

a97d5b1c1f56b42de79f9a6a7dcd912c.thumb.jpg.cb71c31898a2fab198ae0aafee499069.jpg

• Members

This is a fully laminated solid construction. The Spalted Maple segments are solid dense segments (not pithy) so adhesion is not an issue. The neck was designed on Warmoth's website. It is Mahogany with Walnut Skunk stripe reinforcement and a Bubinga wood fretboard with 22 6150 frets. The neck is a four bolt pattern with custom laser engraved neck plate. The finish is Beechwood Casey TruOil applied with cotton makeup pads in a piece of nylon stocking. The first coat was applied and allowed to dry 48hrs. The second coat was applied and sanded with 600 grit wet/dry emory in small circles to mix micro wood dust with the TruOil to seal the grain. Successive coats were applied with cotton makeup pads in a piece of nylon stocking and surfaced after 24hrs of drying between coats with 0000 steel wool. The body is a rear route control cavity design with front route for the pickup cavities. The pickup rings are also Spalted Maple.

• Members

I made a somewhat unfortunate discovery that the middle SD Vintage Rails pickup (four wire) is comprised of two side-by-side coils. When I use my three-way mini toggle for the split coil function, I lose the right side of the pickup, thus knocking out E, B, G. 8^{[. I will swap this pickup out for another SD Hot Rails neck pickup and install the SD Vintage Rails in my Line6 JTV69 (The doner for replacement SD Hot Rails neck pickup). The SD Vintage Rails will be right at home in the JTV69 as this is a two wire style hook up.

• Members

The Vintage Rails is normally wired in parallel. The other wires are for series operation, which is more power, with thicker mids and lows. If you wire it to split, it will cut half of it off, like you found out. If you wire the switch to select series, then you get the more powerful, humbucker sound.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived