NGD - I got me a lawyer guitar

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

OK, been utter crap with NGDs lately, I gotta get what I consider to be my real family together.

See some time back, I sorta gave up on 6 strings, and went back to 4 bridge supports, so a nice little stable of bass guitars have moved into chez moi.

Then last week i saw this 30th Anniversary PRS SE Custom 24 in Chestnut and it looked a lot like one of the original West Street originals, so I bought it for my eldest son who is turning out to be quite the player at 14, and writes a song in 5-10 mins and then sticks some music with it.

Got it home and it took him best part of three days to get it out of my hands.

Anyroad, I started just lookin for a 90s CE24, and there arent many around at decent prices, ie <1000, negotiated with some guy on his beat up black 94, but he wasn't going below a grand, but then came across a nice flamed top on Ebay, put in the lowest bid, and nobody bid against me, so got this for 950 of our scrounging queens pounds (yes, treason, well high treason)

92BF5F02-7F03-4D76-9285-4AFB16D55972_zps2yugmkcb.jpg

563E2E18-AD8D-43E4-9FCE-82DBA04E695B_zpsexnhougc.jpgEDF7C1E0-2ECE-40E4-A921-A1107C334ED1_zpsbebhfwg3.jpg

Super Distortion in the bridge, Air Norton in the neck, so may have to swap something more my bag in and ditch the rotary switch.

I now get why folk like these

• Moderators
HNGD! :philthumb:

Nice score. :cool2: It's a beauty! :love: I love the look of some of the PRS models. I'd be sorely tempted to buy one, but their necks just don't work with my hands.

I'm over the neck shape thing...at one time it had to be a fat neck, now I'm happy with my 54 reissue Strat, a Wizard neck, or this PRS one, which I presume is wide n thin.

I seud to have the same problem with radius nonsense, now I don't care.

Maybe it's playing bass, you don't really get much choice with PBs, JBs or Rics etc.

• Moderators

Odd isn't it, I've never fancied one, but the MIK I got my son just seemed to fit, I'd been trying to make myself like SGs, but not finding one that did it. I now gotta choose out of my 6 Pauls, and that'll do the Seth Lover, lightweight Paul sound I adore, got my 54 Strat, and share a Tele with the son.

• Moderators
Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. Lovely guitar. Have you tried living with the rotary switch? Personally I've never played a guitar that had one. I'm not sure how I'd like it.

DE, my son's SE has master volume, master tone, which is a pull/push pot and a 3 way Strat style blade switch.

As I don't have a requirement for the range of tone that the 5 way rotary seems to give me, and it doesn't make sense, and it's not the easiest to use, it will be being replaced iwth a LP type 3 way toggle switch, like the McCarty has I believe, wish _pete_ was here, he was the PRS expert.

• Moderators

BB, it's almost completely down to the 25" scale, I don't understand how a fraction of an inch spread over such a length can make both a LP and a Strat seem harder to live with. I love how when open minded we can learn a lot about ourselves, if we're honest with ourselves.

If you'd told me last week I'd own a US made PRS this week, I'd have giggled

• Moderators

This is the first US one I've ever held, and it shows to a design engineer a great deal of considered thought, throughout the whole guitar, and I'm sure even the rotary switch made sense at some point.

I have been doing pickup swaps for quite a few people on the latest crop of PRS Ses, and some of them are just gorgeous...the Zach Myers being one, Korea and Indonesia can easily do what the Japanese did

• Moderators
Very pretty! Beautiful grain on the fretboard.

Jeez it's a gorgeous guitar, and I must admit, I'm on a bit of a Wine Red thing at the moment, and it was described as Tiger Red, and although red is not a colour I've ever associated with Tigers, it is exactly the colour as the pics....brown, but still beautiful, but man, those tuners just set it apart from anything else...I love me Kluson style, but they make them look like Neolithic engineering.

I'm going to replace the Super Distortion/Air Norton with a Duncan JB and then cycle through A2, A3 and UOA5 magnets, and a Duncan 59 neck, that I took out of an Edwards SG, which is now equipped with Seth's...bloody made for each other, but because of the control layout, I'm at a bit of a loss as to whether I want split coils. I'm not a gigging musician, so if I want summat that sounds ;like a Strat, I have a bloody nice Strat, and if I want something that sounds like a Tele, I've got a bloody nice Strat:)

I tempted to put the Seths in this, lose the Edwards SG, and leave it at that.

That way I have two guitars, both worth about a grand, one each for the two boys when I shuffle off, so they get a nice watch and a nice guitar to remember Dad by,

Archived