Anybody into browsers?

1001gear

• Members

New one by a former Mozilla wig.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/20/with-brave-software-javascripts-inventor-is-building-a-browser-for-the-ad-blocked-future/

You can get a developer copy that doesn't do much besides go where you point it but it is very fast. The html video works great too. (glitches on my Firefox; still using Flash there)

• Members
I don't know if I'm 'into' browsers but chrome has been the best I've used.

Chrome is quick but last I checked there was no Noscript support and as far as I know it allows everything by default. I only use it if I can't enable video and photo media on Firefox/Noscript.

• Members

I'll use anything that doesn't grass me up to the NSA :)

Currently firefox is my go to but it keeps fiendishly deep and unerasable browsing history (mysql type code) You can erase the history it displays so you think it's gone but it still stores it (if you are not in private mode.)

I dumped IE 6 or 7 years back and Microsoft are following my lead on that :)

I will try the new boy because the flash blocking is a real pain

• Moderators

I actually always revert to Firefox, bu then I was a Netscape user, however I can get on with Chrome, because I had a Gmail account from Day 1, so it's cool to keep my bookmarks up to date since Mozilla fecked X-marks. IE I can't tolerate, and Edge I don't get at all.

My ideal browser would be one that dumped Java and Flash

Oh and I do spend a fair amount of time on safari, as my phone, tablet and home machine are all Apple devices, because my day job is sys admin in a Windows environment, and I just need to get away from Windows at weekends etc.

• Members

Firefox here. I used to use Opera occasionally but I bought a new PC at the end of December and I haven't installed it yet. Since Firefox is working just fine I may not. I also tried Maxthon based on a PC Magazine review but the next thing I knew my machine had malware on it. Not pointing fingers but just sayin'.

• Members
So... Chrome users. What about it is better than say' date=' Firefox or Safari? Why do you prefer Chrome? What's the appeal of it?[/quote']

I use Chrome because

1 I have it

2 It seems to work pretty good

3 I hate computers

• Members

A few notes:

Chrome debuted as more stripped down browser than the other main browsers, and that was the impetus behind the recent creation of Edge.

Safari and Chrome had similar origins, but diverged a few years back. Both were built on the WebKit rendering engine in the beginning, but as of a couple of years ago Chrome has been built on the Chromium open source project's Blink rendering engine. Opera has adopted the Blink rendering engine, recently. Firefox is built upon its own Gecko rendering engine.

For any of you Chrome users that are running a 64-bit operating system, you should be using the 64-bit version of Chrome. It's a bit faster than the 32-bit version and is also more secure.

Firefox seems to be slowly turning into the sluggish pig that Netscrape became many years ago. And this problematic trend seemed to have started when they fired their previous CEO who is, ironically, the creator behind the new Brave browser.

Opera: I quit using Opera a long time ago. Their development team seems to have a long history of not catching serious security vulnerabilities in a timely manner.

• Members
If it carries on using Java..........FAIL

Don't confuse Java for Javascript.

Javascript is quite universal and is used for the dynamic content on most websites. H-C is built predominately on HTML and Javascript, with a bit of Flash mixed in.

The H-C server is probably running a Java technology like Tomcat or JavaEE to provide some function, but it's not apparent to any of the forum users.

• Members

I've used Firefox since I got broadband in 2007. I have yet to hear a convincing argument that would make me switch. I can't stand Chrome's lack of customization and the tab configuration. I use Tab Mix Plus on Firefox because I like my tabs a certain way, and Chrome throws that out of the window. I use Google as my default search engine, though I keep using Duck Duck Go for other needs because Google has been slipping in the past few years. Their search results are usually the best, but when I want specificity, they begin to lose.

What I'd like is an Adblock for my Youtube app on the iPhone.

• Members

Brave is coming for phone. Blocks everything. and as a result is instantaneous give or take the odd millisecond. Doesn't do anything else right now. Still can't beat FF though. Mine's bloated with addons and still runs sporty enough. Something broke HTML5 video but even that will work if I manually sync it by going slowly up through the resolutions. IOW I play a youtube at 480 and then bump it to 720 and so on until I'm at 2160 at which time it freezes to buffer a lot but the HTML at lower resolutions streams glitch and flicker free. Big lol. so I just use a Flash Player extension.

This just happened on Googuh. No comment.

Search%20me_zpsoyakuwqh.jpg

:philpalm:

I'm an audio engineer, so I'll comment...

Sample rate conversion? I prefer to try to avoid it, but there's lots of reasons why you might need to do that.

Converting 16 bit to 24 bit? Also easy enough to do... but most of the time, why would you want to? About the only time most people would ever need to do so is if they wanted to add a previously recorded 16 bit / 44.1 kHz file to a multitrack DAW session that was (for some inexplicable reason) set for 24 bit (good) 48 kHz (again - why?) - and most DAW programs will handle that just fine. They'll load / import the file and then add 8 bits of zeros to it. Won't make it sound any better, but you'll be able to use it and process it along with all the other 24 bit files in the session - and if you do process it destructively within the DAW with things like EQ or compressor plugins, those extra 8 bits will start being utilized. It still started life as a 16 bit recording so those limitations will always be there, but the processing can still be done at 24 bits once the file is converted.

EDIT: The editor in me just noticed the "too" mistake. :freak: Should have caught that one right away. :o

Archived