Ngd

mikesr1963

• Members

Schecter Diamond Series Damian Solo Elite with EMG 81/85 pickups. I've been wanting a guitar with EMG 81/85 pickups for years, just been to cheap to spend the money and so for years I've been watching CL and Ebay for example I was willing to buy. This one popped up for the price of a set of EMG 81/85 pickups and I bought it. Solid guitar with jumbo frets. I polished the frets, made a small truss rod adjustment, added new strings, and set the intonation and it's freaking amazing. I've been a big fan of Black Label Society since it started and all tones with that sinister vibe and now I'm spot on.

0662e11c1165c477954720e1b2334ccb.jpg.a0b9c2ac148074fc1cf96a23862bf708.jpg

360b811cca34e55c05f70286e40e5144.jpg.b930940ace4fc3f8cb77aef8163fe0a2.jpg

7d8b3e2f7fcaed0bbe6612f013d73fe7.JPG.9e8e6d5a2e6bdc8134e5f081deb61f87.JPG

52df85a6bad96ce03691ebe88127b703.jpg.196cc52f2aad5a4a5fa2979bc2f8e647.jpg

03ff3debecb05d55ae79fc7e52026b43.jpg.c684c620fe82b461fdfbff3abdb0f3da.jpg

• Members

The only thing I found so far they don't like is added compression from a pedal. Because they are compressed already due to being active any additional outside the guitar itself takes away from the sound. So if you're trying to play clean make sure nothing in your chain and amp is adding additional compression.

• Members
The only thing I found so far they don't like is added compression from a pedal. Because they are compressed already due to being active . . .

Hadn't heard that. I assume you're referring to the preamp somehow not being able to handle the dynamics of the pickups? I'd think that wouldn't be an issue with a properly designed preamp.

• Members
The only thing I found so far they don't like is added compression from a pedal. Because they are compressed already due to being active any additional outside the guitar itself takes away from the sound. So if you're trying to play clean make sure nothing in your chain and amp is adding additional compression.

What type of comp are you using?

Active pickups aren't compressed. If anything they are just the opposite having more dynamics then passive pickups. The reason a comp might not work well is the signal is hot or the comp doesn't respond to the pickups lower impedance the same as it would for a passive signal. If I knew what kind of comp it was and can find a schematic, you may be able to modify the comp with a simple resistor to work with the hotter pickup output.

There again, if it sounds good without it its one less pedals to deal with.

• Members

What type of comp are you using?

Active pickups aren't compressed. If anything they are just the opposite having more dynamics then passive pickups. The reason a comp might not work well is the signal is hot or the comp doesn't respond to the pickups lower impedance the same as it would for a passive signal. If I knew what kind of comp it was and can find a schematic, you may be able to modify the comp with a simple resistor to work with the hotter pickup output.

There again, if it sounds good without it its one less pedals to deal with.

They are compressed in the sense that due to being active they are made so each sting has equal volume to be heard equally otherwise you would not need them to be active. You would simply use hotter pickups, which I also have and use. You can set a compressor to do the same thing. I don't wan't to modify my compressor as it's working fine and I simply do not need it with EMGs because as I said before they work perfectly without an outside compressor.

• Members

Hadn't heard that. I assume you're referring to the preamp somehow not being able to handle the dynamics of the pickups? I'd think that wouldn't be an issue with a properly designed preamp.

I'm referring to a Compression/Sustaining pedal. I've found that EMGs simply don't need it anyway. They sustain forever and you can hear everything whether clean or with distortion.

• Members
They are compressed in the sense that due to being active they are made so each sting has equal volume to be heard equally otherwise you would not need them to be active. . . . You can set a compressor to do the same thing. . . .

I'm referring to a Compression/Sustaining pedal. I've found that EMGs simply don't need it anyway. They sustain forever and you can hear everything whether clean or with distortion.

Equal string volume isn't a matter of compression, it's a matter of adjusting the pole pieces. An EQ pedal can do something similar (but not the same) but a compressor can't. By the same token, a compressor isn't primarily for sustain, it's for dynamics. It makes soft sounds below a given level louder and loud sounds above a given level softer. A compressor can improve perceived sustain by boosting the signal as it dies out, sort of like turning the volume up as the note decays. That's not quite the same thing as actually improving sustain though. You can find a fairly thorough explanation here: http://music.stackexchange.com/quest...essor-pedal-do. There are pedals that combine compression with sustain like the Boss CS-3 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...ustainer-pedal) but the compression part isn't responsible for the added sustain.

Archived