humidity

naboutboul

• Members

So, I've noticed that the humidity in the house out here up north (New York) has dropped to 25% when the heat is on. I have a 2015 American Standard and a 2012 American Standard and I'm wondering if I should be doing anything to keep the cases slightly humidified? Something like a damp sponge in a soap dish re-dampened every week or something along those lines? the 2015 sits in the case all day everyday and the 2012 sits out on a stand.

I know that the polyurethane is pretty resistant to humidity swings but my concern is the possibility of the neck shrinking slightly and frets starting to pop out. In the 17 years I've never humidified a electric case but winter time has always been the time of year my guitars need setups done.

Do you guys who live up north or in any other dry climate do anything to keep the case slightly humidified? I'm not going to humidify an entire room so I'm wondering if it's something I should be worrying about or something I should just let slide?

• Members

Yes, you should be humidifying your guitars any time the humidity drops below about 45%. A damp sponge in a soap dish works fine. Outdoor humidity where you are is about 31% right now, and it's probably at least that low in your home: http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/Brooklyn+NY+11209:4:US#/!. Do something to protect your guitars sooner rather than later.

• Members

Yes absolutely. I used to do room humidification, which I still feel is best but it is a PITA so I switched to case humidification. Music Nomad makes an excellent case humidifier. But a damp sponge in a soap dish with holes drilled in it also works well. Also get yourself an in case hygrometer. The Caliber IV works wonderfully. This way you can tell just how many sponges you will need to keep the case around 50%.

I usually rewet the sponges every Sunday. Takes 10 minutes a week.

I live in MA so we have the same weather conditions. I humidify from November to around May so like 6 months of the year. Over time, dry conditions will dry out the wood of your guitars and can cause all kinds of problems.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Another vote for some sort of humidifier in the case. I put a damp kitchen sponge in a baggie with a bunch of holes in it, a soap dish with holes works too or you can buy commercial things. A solid body electric won't be affected by dryness as much as an acoustic but you will still see sharp fret ends and possibly a change in action. Each time I cycle thru playing a particular guitar I dampen the sponge.

• Members

OMG. I just looked at my temp/humidity gauge. 24% humidity. I've been in Thailand now 15 years and never seen it that low. Usually so humid wood seems like wet cardboard. Sponge patrol! Doctor, he needs more blankets and less blankets! (Dewey Cox story line)

Archived