What guitar-related smart phone apps are you using?

stormin1155

• Members

Today's guitarist has so many tools available that we never even dreamed about when I started playing 45 years ago.... Youtubes, tablature, backing tracks, on-line lessons... I find myself using my smartphone more and more for guitar related stuff. Here are guitar-related apps I have on my phone (Android). What apps are you using?

- PitchLab Lite - I have several tuners on my phone, but this one gets used most. Very cool features using strobes,

- Chord Free - Handy app for figuring out chord fingerings.

- Smart Voice Recorder - Handy app for recording riffs and tunes that pop into my head.

- Practice Tracks - Don't use this much, but it has some backing jam tracks that can be fun.

- Dr.Machine Junior - backing drum tracks

- Da Tuner Lite - Another good tuner

- Guitar Songs - Tab/lyric sheets for a lot of songs listed by artist

• Members

Not productive but none, I dislike smart phones... They perpetuate the need for immediacy and detract from human interaction. Nothing worse than seeing a group of people sitting together all glued to their phones (That's just one small example of many I could offer).

• Members
Not productive but none' date=' I dislike smart phones... They perpetuate the need for immediacy and detract from human interaction. Nothing worse than seeing a group of people sitting together all glued to their phones (That's just one small example of many I could offer).[/quote']

I have no cell phone of any type.. Generally they are just a PITA

• Members

None. While I do have a smart phone, I use it for strange things.... phone calls. Maybe a text or two... and when in need, some googling.

I don't live with one attached to my ear like 90% of the population seems to. When the big solar flare comes, it will be fun watching people go into withdrawal when they can't check facebook 300 times a day!

• Members

I use one called Chord!, and I love DaTuner Pro. I also use one called Udemy to view a video course from Guitargate that my wife bought me. It's an extremely complete $270 guitar instructional course she got for a huge discount right before Christmas. I'm using it myself, plus my daughter is going to use it to learn from as well. That app isn't completely guitar related, but I use it for it. There is also a backing track app that I use, but you can do just as well searching YouTube yourself since that's all it really does. All you old coots afraid of smartphones need to come into this century and embrace a wonderful learning tool. If you don't want a phone, buy a $50 tablet.

• Members
Not productive but none' date=' I dislike smart phones... They perpetuate the need for immediacy and detract from human interaction. Nothing worse than seeing a group of people sitting together all glued to their phones (That's just one small example of many I could offer).[/quote']

ba6033972e96dae9754e2c0061de591d.jpg

• Members

I use several of the apps you mentioned. I use Remuda to control my Mustang III amp (requires a USB cable though).

I also use Music Speed Changer Lite to transcribe solos, Chord Wheel (don;t use it much anymore), Songsterr, Guitar Tab viewer.

Metronome Beats, iReal Pro (a very simple "band in a box" app)

I use SmartChord which is really a suite of apps from a tuning pipe (useless), to a metronome, tuner, scale generator...

I also have Drum Beats+ so I can jam to a variety of beats (my amp has a phones/mp3 input)

I also have a few "jam tracks" and "lick" apps downloaded but I never really use them.

I have been using ASR to record band practices and the like, but I am looking for a better option (maybe something that would allow me to layer tracks)

All those are on an Android Nexus 6 phone, but many of these apps also exist for the iphone.

The IK Multimedia hardware solutions would be tempting if it was in the sub $30 range.

• Members

I have a tuner and metronome I use now and again. The metronome more so when I'm playing drums. I have the ultimate guitar app, but don't use it much. I also have Garage Band, but I hardly use it. Usually if I'm just jotting down an idea, I'll use the voice memo app as it's easier to quickly save and export.

• Members

Playing more of the same old thing isn't a learning tool. A learning tool presents you with new information to process. Using an app is no different than watching a video, buying a book or taking a lesson. Apps can do all of that, and can be with you whenever you need them.

• Members

Songsterr is a pretty good source for passable transcriptions.

I have an iRig (for my first-gen iPad) and AmpliTube that is alright for what it does; basic amp and effects simulation, along with the ability to play along with songs in your iTunes library.

I also have iRig UA (Universal Android) which features a lesser version of AmpliTube: it does not allow the play-along function and only works in portrait mode, which makes it a poor choice for tablet or streaming devices. It does good, low-latency playback, but is light on modeling options in the basic version. Enhancements (additional amps and effects) are add-in purchases.

I'm also in the group that does not use a mobile phone. I have a non-activated Android phone that is essentially a compact tablet, along with a slew of Android devices ...

• Members

Garage Band on my iPhone of course. It's amazing how many great feature it has, all for free. Drum machines, synths, strings, amp models, recorder, etc etc. Create cool songs that I can jam over. I connect my guitar to my iPhone with iRig HD, but there are cheaper options.

Ampkit for most of my amp sims and recording. The sound quality is the best I have used.

• 7 months later...

I use my iPad more than my phone for music-related apps - mainly because the screen is bigger and easier to read. I have a bunch of synth apps, as well as a few guitar-centric ones. iStrobosoft is a must-have IMO, and so is Amplitube. Guitar Toolkit is a useful app if you need chords and scales and things like that. I also have a SPL meter, but that's more audio engineering-related than guitar related.

• Members

I use a program called Music Memos which is killer for recording guitar snippets. Allot of times I'll be watching TV and playing guitar. I'll come up with some riff or chord pattern. I can stop and jot it down in a note book, get up and power up the studio and record it or I can grab the cell phone and simply hit one button and record it.

The cool part is on play back you have two buttons that will add bass and drums in time and pitch with the chords you played.

It also shows you the chords you played so you can instantly find they key and chords you played.

It isn't fail safe. The algorithm sometimes thinks you played in a different time signature and may select the wrong drum beat but it does a pretty good job considering you played the part with no accompaniment.

I also have a Garage Band and one called Figure which is a fairly good drum machine. I don't spend allot of time with those. The Music Memo's is super handy though. I may wind up with a dozen or more ideas I have saved into files, Then I just play them back till I find and idea I want to expand on recording in the studio where I do a professional version with all the extras.

Pulling up the saved files is a single button scroll list and it will loop a tracks playback or play the next file sequentially. All very handy.

the ones i use most often;

boss tuner app (just downloaded recently- pretty good)

anytune ("slow-downer" & pitch change app)

Mandolin companion (chord & scale app)

I didn't mention it in my last post, but Guitar Toolkit also has banjo, bass and mandolin chords and scales too. :)

Archived