Fake USA strat has Ebayers fooled

naboutboul

• Members
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272055067951

so much wrong with this "American Standard" strat - body is too thin for a USA model. Wrong bridge. Wrong saddles. Painted on skunk stripe, headstock obviously sanded down at decal, etc. etc. I emailed the seller but to no avail. Someone is about to pay $700-$750 for this - the poor sucker.

I navigated to the auction photos and could not verify some of the items you're talking about. The quality of the pictures is not good enough to make out details. The pictures of the skunk stripe where highly pixilated making the photo look like it was spray painted. There's not enough resolution to make out the wood grain either way. The body thickness can easily be the camera angle skewing the pictures perspective.

The things I do see is the nut doesn't look stock too me nor the tuners. The grooves in the nut are much too deep for any stock nut. Tubers are cheap imports.

The Serial number dates 2003 or 2004 vintage series and I couldn't match anything close to it. The fonts for the Custom Body are much too large as well. Hardware can be changed out easily enough. Even string trees can be added especially for a guitar with a cracked nut like that. Given the fact I couldn't find anything between the serial dates, It may be a fake or something doctored. You'd have to remove the neck to find an actual date if its a fender.

Archived