New guitar amp??? Help!

Mr gum

• Members

Ok, so I'm looking for a new guitar amp; I mainly play heavy rock and modern pop songs: AC DC, Black Sabbath, Kings of Leon etc.. and whatever is in the charts for pop. My current amp is a crappy 2w Roland micro cube so I'm looking for an upgrade! I would like a modelling amp, as I would like to be able to have a variety of different sounds to choose from but I would be open to valve/solid state suggestions if you can convince me wink.gif. My guitar is epiphone dot 335 so if you know any amp that perticularly sounds great with that please share! Also I will not need these amp for gigs, mainly just bedroom noodling and the odd school performance. I am grade 3 rockschool but slightly higher standard, so not an absolute noob. My budget is around the £200 mark however I can rise this slightly.

I have been looking at line 6's 'amplifi 75' for it's epic features, opinions?

Also have looked at Blackstar TVP ID15 however amplifi might be better for endless amount of tones?

Thanks for reading, please comment below and thoughts/ideas.smiley-winksmiley-wink

Have you looked at the Fender Super Champ X2? That would be one that I'd consider if I was in your shoes.

As far as my thoughts on the Line 6 AMPLIFi 75, you might want to check out my review of the similar but more powerful AMPLIFi 150, which you can find here:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/line-6-amplifi-150

• Members

Since you are in the UK and if you are at all handy, consider building an Amp Maker kit

http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php

I recently built the "Double Six" - 1/6/12 watt and I really like it - its warm and clean but has the options of being overdriven. They do have several other kits that you might want to look into.

• Members

Orange Micro Terror

20 watts can use any cab. 4/8 ohm

Sold my Fender Mustang amp after I got mine. I have a 1x12 speaker cab. I love this little amp. Can play nice cleans or rattle the house with ac/dc grind. Awesome

This guy dose a nice demo of the clean dirty sounds.

[video=youtube;DVhkchAMni8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVhkchAMni8&index=1&list=RDDVhkchAMni8

[video=youtube;xDG1h7IR54g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDG1h7IR54g

• Members

I just bought a Vox AC10 after reading about it in Premier Guitar. It's a EL84 amp, 10 watts, one 10-inch, with master volume. At $460 bucks or so it rocks. Love the tone, expeciallly the crunch. It maintains that chimy character when distorted. Very happy with it. I'm selling my Mesa Lonestar...but not my Bedrock 1200.

• Members
I just bought a Vox AC10 after reading about it in Premier Guitar. It's a EL84 amp' date=' 10 watts, one 10-inch, with master volume. At $460 bucks or so it rocks. . . .[/quote']

Sorry, you missed the part where the OP said:

. . . My budget is around the £200 mark . . .

£200 is about US$300, well shy of $460, although used might be an option.

• Members

Another vote for the Mustang III, it lets you play with headphones, has an mp3 input and you can use it to record into a computer, so great for bedroom use. It's big/powerful enough to play with a band, has a number of amps emulated, so it's very close to having a Fender, a Marshall, etc.. I also has effects like distortion, phase, flanger, reverb, etc... built in. It will also plug into a club PA if you ever need it. I takes external pedals well and has an effect loop. You can even buy extra foot switches and an expression pedal to get Wah, Swells, Whammy, etc... style effects.

You can download lots of "presets" for the internet into it, which is a good way to play around with how other people achieved the sound you want (usually looking up a song by name gets you several examples)

Look up in "Mustang Monday" on youtube, Shane does demos and does A/B comparisons with several amp models to show that it sounds pretty decent.

I use mine to play blues and classic rock, my kid uses it to play metal and "techno". definitely a great value.

• Members

I own a Johnson JT-50 Mirage. Used to be 800 dollars. Now they are under 250 dollars. Mine was free to me. It costed the person 170 dollars. It is a modeling amplifier. It sound like a Vox, Fender and other. Scott Groves uses them too. Built in effects.The presets suck but I make my own. If you see one try it out you may like it.

074c55b715c44526636bb8f92677ac4f.jpg.2ff8c37c10d78b58cc4c18503a06d7e3.jpg

bbf8718a5e3ebce6dd7e5e6c8064e717.thumb.JPG.ecbce5b89c72b1480f3fce4bace6264c.JPG

7fc5e3e1d7cbecf5c9808662e700ec2c.thumb.JPG.84d879864da77128d6b967ac2d2ec029.JPG

Archived