ZZ Top - Tush intro

Grant Harding

• Members

the guitar intro is just loud and big and then dropped down in volume when the drums and bass come in ,it isn`t totaly mixed out you can still hear it slightly in the middle with the addition of another two rhythm tracks left and right the left one is played a bit looser at times ,great sound ,one of my all time fave tracks.although i`m sure it`s everyones.

• Members

I think this is what engineers mean when they say that a guitar tone needs to work in the context of the other instruments. I think the engineer put a smile EQ on the guitar as well as bringing the volume down. This leaves a nice big hole in the mix for the lead vocal and snare drum.

I'm trying to get the other guitarist in a band I play with to think like this. He just hammers it out at high volume the whole time with a really midrange-heavy tone. You can't hear subtleties from anyone. So frustrating and he doesn't listen.

• Members
I think this is what engineers mean when they say that a guitar tone needs to work in the context of the other instruments. I think the engineer put a smile EQ on the guitar as well as bringing the volume down. This leaves a nice big hole in the mix for the lead vocal and snare drum.

I'm trying to get the other guitarist in a band I play with to think like this. He just hammers it out at high volume the whole time with a really midrange-heavy tone. You can't hear subtleties from anyone. So frustrating and he doesn't listen.

His problem is more volume than eq. If you have a sound guy during gigs I would talk to him. A couple of gigs have being turned down, he'll get the message.

• Members

That, as I am fond of saying, is the difference between a band and four soloists on a stage together.

• Members

sack him he`ll probs hear that. i find at jam sessions the noisey ones are the ones who won`t eyeball you ,they`re off on one in their own little world, grinding out full chords,like status quo on steroids grind. grind .grind

• Members

Is he willing to learn from you and open to suggestions?

Perhaps you could record a show then listen to it together and you could point out certain bits - both the ones that work and the ones that don't.

Sometimes it's good to be embarrassed by recordings of our own playing.

• Members
Our lead singer: "Can we take it down to D?"

Me: "Technically..." :)

I've never played it but from the chords on various Internet sites it appears to be in G so that would be a ways down. You'd pretty much have to shift everything one string (i.e., a riff on the G string would have to be played on the D string). I have to do something like that myself because I have a fairly low voice but I generally don't sing leads.

Archived