What kind of fretboard material do you prefer and why?

speakerjones

What kind of fretboard material do you prefer and why?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of fretboard material do you prefer and why?

• Maple
    • Rosewood
    • Ebony
    • Other (please specify)

• Members

I use ebony and rosewood interchangeably, usually for the overall effect with the rest of the guitar. Ebony has an edge for hardness and is certainly the traditional choice for vintage style instruments (which is what I build), however import, environmental and price constraints means that it is harder to get. I applaud the efforts to utilize "lesser" grades of ebony - I happen to like the grey streaks in the wood that is being imported today.

When I choose a particular wood it is usually part of an overall theme - T_e_l_e's 335 got ebony fretboard, head plate, p/u rings and pick guard, the last LP I built had rosewood for all those things plus the binding.

I personally don't like maple boards - particularly as they age and the finish starts to wear off. They are a giant hassle to work with both when new and for refrets. However I know that maple is part of the Fender look (and part of Leo's construction methods) - if that's what you want its fine with me.

• Members

I voted rosewood because all my decent guitars have it, although a couple of super cheapies appear to be painted pine. Never owned a guitar with an ebony board and I seriously dislike the way a maple board looks after it gets worn and dirty. Ugh!

No Richlite in your survey = fail.

What do you suppose"Other" means?

• Members

I don't really care, as long as the maple ones don't have a sticky finish I'm fine. Ebony feels the best, they all have their applications. I'd like to try Ziricote.

Ziricote (Cordia dodecandra):

This dark gray to brown to black wood is similar to Ebony in weight and density. Some pieces have gorgeous striping and spider web grain patterns. The feel is buttery smooth and slick. The density translates to great sustain with a nice, medium tone.

fetch?id=31643265

• Members
I don't really care' date=' as long as the maple ones don't have a sticky finish I'm fine. Ebony feels the best, they all have their applications. I'd like to try Ziricote. . . .[/quote']

That is some nice looking wood. Love the grain. I wonder sometimes why manufacturers don't take advantage of what's out there. For example, my old 12-string is made of bubinga and it looks very similar to mahogany.

• Moderators
If you could only pick one' date=' which is your preferred fretboard material?[/quote']

I'm not overly impressed with the provocative resurrection of a thread just because you didn't agree with a decision, that said I can't find fault with your thread, as it will and has elicited discussion, experience and could be a source of knowledge.

• Moderators

I used to be a big lover of ebony for a number of reasons, aesthetics, stability, low maintenance, however it's a bitch to refret, ie pulling frets often take chunks out of the boards, but it is a very stable wood. I love the Macassar variation and it's tendency to have many different grain patterns, but I think if I was a builder (full time) my signature fretboard would be ziricote. All the joys of ebony, the looks of rosewood, and it's easy to work with

• Members

Won't vote. Love them all.

I have all three.

Love the ultra smoothness of playing on a finished maple neck and I just love the look of it on fender style guitars.

Love the textured feel of Rosewood. I have some rosewood that's almost as smooth as my ebony boards but there is just something about it...a "warmth" when you touch it.

And I love the ebony boards I have. 2 jet black and one striped ebony board. The hardness and smoothness of it is so cool.

• Members

I have all three as well. I have the notion that maple is spankier followed by ebony and rosewood respectively Couldn't prove it though. The maple and ebony are Fender scale single coil guitars and the rosewood's on an Ibanez RG and an Epi Dot.

Apples and oranges. No real preference either.

• Members

Gloss Maple which, now I think about it, means I have never touched the wood of my main guitar !

One day I guess it will wear through and I will have to refinish,

I am fine with ebony and rosewood though but don't like the feel of narrow frets

I like the look of bound fretboards but psychologically prefer to play unbound.

• Members

It's interesting to me that ebony has the lead. I have one electric and one acoustic with ebony boards. I sometimes find ebony almost too hard feeling when digging in (bad technique here, yeah). It can be almost fatiguing on the fingers. I love the look of maple and have it on my favorite Strat and on my G&L SC-3, a guitar I've been playing a lot. Overall, though, I think I like the feel of rosewood, and how it hides dirt and imperfections.

• Members

I voted ebony, but I don't have a strong preference. My acoustics are mostly ebony and all but one of my electrics are rosewood except for one maple.

The only time I ever think about the fingerboard is when I'm playing the maple one in summer and my fingers get impeded by the finish. Pretty subtle though and wouldn't be a deal breaker if I loved everything else about a guitar.

Plus refrets are easier for me with unfinished board.

• Members

I like Ebony, with hardened stainless steel frets, 25.5" scale and 14" radius.

Why?

The hard wood and frets plus the long radius make it easy to bend, and the longer scale allows my fingers to fit in the frets better when playing high.

It's all about ease of playing so I concentrate less on the mechanics and more on the music.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived