This forum is slow enough as it is...

speakerjones

• Members

Yeah, the original question was "does [sic] maple fretboards really change the way you sound or play?" (emphasis added). That's not something you can Google. Personally, I have no sonic preference but I dislike the way an older maple board looks. I used to be a mod on a non-music-related board and I know it can be a difficult job so I sympathize with the staff hereabouts. There's also the fact that mbengs1 starts these threads and then disappears. Maybe Ratae finally got tired of it.

• Members

He asks the most random, specific questions that are usually answerable in one post, and they generally aren't good for discussion. Ironically, people will spend pages upon pages arguing over this stuff in his threads. He rarely posts in his own threads too. I understand a language barrier, but he's almost like a spam bot. There were conspiracies about mods or admins starting new accounts to pick up board traffic and stimulate discussion right when he reappeared after a few years absence. It's totally within the realm of reason that an Admin can commandeer an old, dead account and start posting from it.

I'm not accusing mods or admins of anything. Just pointing out the possibilities.

• Moderators

OK guys, I trawled through a large amount of mbengs posts, and his MO is basically post a thread, and this is a value judgement which you may or may not agree with, but usually of little substantive content and then just leave the thread for others to contribute to, mainly with good intent, and he's never back in the thread again, with either experience or any constructive feedback.

Bucky, believe me, this is none of the mods boosting post counts, we can do way better than that, and there very few active mods, who basically don't really have either the time or inclination to "manufacture" posts, and as before, if they did, they'd be a tad better than mbengs posts.

And to the individual who found my advice for the poster to try Google:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=do+maple+fretboards+make+a+difference+to+sound%3F

• Moderators
...without topics getting shut down for no apparent reason. I don't get why mbeng's thread on maple fretboards was just closed with a rude comment. Is this what passes for moderation around here these days?

It reflects the expectations of what most people expect when they come to this forum, in terms of knowledge, level of experience, contribution to knowledge, transfer of knowledge, experience with modding guitars etc.

I#ve pointed it out before, but look at what HCEG is for, and if you had any idea of the amount and quality of knowledge that has been transferred in this forum over the years, you might think twice before you post offhand comments.

If you're not happy then...

• Moderators

I understand newb posts, I used to make them when I started building first, and many patient people answered, but many told me to look on Google, and to be honest these days, most of the very well informed experienced builders and techs don't come here anymore..

TDPR is still one of the most useful for asking tech questions on all aspects of all guitars, bot just Teles, and I see a lot of half truths posted in here, I see the constant tonewood {censored}efests, the boutique v cheap pickups debates, and many many others that have occurred over the years.

I also see many new breeds in here and they're the guys I like to either leave alone, help, steer and encourage.

Most of all I have a very very very low tolerance for those that contribute nothing, and post random pointless threads. These threads I'll close, and anything below that I'll delete, and I don't give a monkeys fart about post count, just quality.

• Members

I looked at what HCEG for. The discussion of electric guitars, etc. etc... on topic posts only.

I've been here long enough (much longer than my current profile would suggest), that I remember you posting a lot of nonsense back in the day. And now you're a mod, so somebody gave you a chance to turn it around I guess. I'm perhaps not here often enough to really know anybody's current MO. I recognized mbeng's name as a regular poster, and it seemed to me he was contributing by posting in the first place, no matter what really happened in the thread after that. As you see, a thread I started on the same subject has promoted discussion and content. I might pop back in, or not. It's pretty irrelevant. There are no rules to that effect that I'm aware of.

No, the forum isn't what it used to be. So that means we should not ask questions and instead use google? Or another forum? We're not allowed to ask others' opinions on a subject? I really don't understand your comments.

• Moderators

I know you've been around for quite a while man, and yes, I used to spout some {censored}e, but I'm six and half years in recovery thanks to AA, and I try no to spout too much {censored} anymore. I also used to contribute very significantly to build threads, technical queries, experiences with all aspects of guitar modding etc. As a mod I have access to interfaces which show mbengs MO, and believe me, his posts are composed of irrelevant non questions and random vagaries.

The reference to Google was to use search functions as we've done fretboard material to death, we've done body tonewoods to death, the latter leading to some quite abusive and personal exchanges.

If however someone, such as you did, spins a relatively new angle on a debate, which I consider preferences and opinions to be, I see that in a pretty good light.

This forum took a hell of a beating and was broken some years ago by {censored} developers, we lost most of our good guys and girls.

I've always liked to think of it as a club, which while having rules, aren't hard and fast, but I do have a responsibility as a mod, and I seek advice from admins when I'm unsure.

I originally asked for mod status as when I used to clock in here there were loads of kitchen spammers, and I just wanted to keep the board clear of Euro spam. You'll see I'm not even listed as a mod, that mods that don't even come here anymore apart from Fretsy, and Phil O Keefe also plays a major part in passing judgement on some posters who continuously push the rules.

I don't get it right, but I just want this forum in whatever guise it takes to be a place where people can seek useful experience of others, good and informed technical info to help their own endeavours and I'm open minded about OT sh*ts n giggles. I hope that gives you some perspective on my view

• Members
. . . And to the individual who found my advice for the poster to try Google:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=do+maple+fretboards+make+a+difference+to+sound%3F

Again, the original question was "does [sic] maple fretboards really change the way you sound or play?" (emphasis added, again). Google can't tell me how different fretboard materials will affect how I play. I don't even know if it makes a difference. I did find this page that mentions fretboard feel: http://leftyfretz.com/guitar-fretboard-wood-choices/. Here are some relevant points:

And not just in terms of tone produced – the fingerboard will also affect the feel of your guitar whilst playing, . . . Due to the very tight grains in the wood, ebony does not require a finish and this gives the fingerboard a very slick, fast playing quality which many players favor. . . . any maple fingerboard which has received a glossy finish can feel a little too sticky for some players – however satin finishes are also available. . . . The oily nature of rosewood also means that it does not require a finish which many players prefer due to the naturally slick feel.

It appears that maple is not conducive to playing well and should be avoided but there are probably plenty of Tele and/or Strat players who would disagree. Again, how this will affect my playing is debatable, as in a topic worthy of discussion, at least IMHO.

• Moderators

Your opinion, significantly outweighed by the amount of support other forumites gave me.

Also I don't give a monkeys if people with little or nothing to contribute to what is after all part knowledge base then I'm good with that too. There are plenty of forums for lightweight tittle tattle and banter.

The quality people that this forum has lost over the years has made it a worse place, and I for one will not be apologetic about not trying to up post counts for the sake of post counts or increase contributions that do nothing for anybody.

Now if a major contributor weighed in, then I might think again, but I see this forum as having the same potential as some other great guitar forums, and I'm not going to dilute this potential by encouraging posts that just don't do anything.

I'm OK with it, sorry dude.

• Moderators

Deep End the first hit Google link was to show that with a search you can find all the other debates that people have had about fretboard material and how utterly pointless the debate really is. Everybody has an opinion.

But I'll iterate this again, Speakerjones stuck a very similar thread in immediately I closed mbeng's down, but spun it so it was a viable thread that could ignite and stimulate debate, and it did, he included a poll so it had a quantitative element, and the discussion gave it a qualitative component, so it became a quality post, and that's what this forum was when I joined in 2006, a quality place to become informed about all aspects of modding/hotrodding electric guitars

• Moderators

That thread was the culmination of a long line of posts from that poster, that I am able to see, and his trend is as I've said quite a few times, in no way contribute anything of quality, technically, fun, banter, or anything else. I'd suggest you do a search for his threads, and look at his MO before you say anything else or criticise what I know was a correct decision that very probably looked harsh to some, but again, I did get 12 messages of support to my Inbox, the main theme being "...it's about time.." sorta thing

• Moderators

I've had a try, but I can't do it, as it appears that whatever was left of HCEG 1 has all been taken down, but if you go and visit Mark Wein's forum, you'll see a few old HCEGers over there, still posting quality stuff

Wyatt - what he didn't know about valve is not worth knowing, every post he contributed to ws vastly enhanced by quality Gospel like knowledge

_Pete_ - Great player, great modder, his step by step installation of a Floyd onto a PRS SE after he was struggling for money was just superb.

Frets - The Reverend....still visits on occasion, contributed to all aspects of HCEG life from hints n tips, spiritual advice, but legendary for his

Jams, one of which is still stickied for posterity.

CSM - posted for ages, until someone worked he was none other than Charles Shaar Murray - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaar_Murray

Warriorpoet - awesome player, builder of effects pedals, responsible for one of the best threads ever in this place where he built a thinline Tele:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/1101944-

GilmourD - What he didn't know about Pink Floyd and david Gilmour aagin, not worth knowing, played in a Floyd tribute band, great tech, great player superb quality contributor.

Atrox - aka Brian Mason, member of 3-4 bands, one of the bolt neck builders club that I was proud to be part of, who progressed by learning here, passing what he knew on here, and showing step by step builds

ajcoholic - canuck who ran his family furniture business, could knock up a setneck Lp trype guitar over a few days and whose build threads gave many people so much detail that people who never thought they could were knocking out their own dream Les Paul type guitars

Black Hat Hunter - Owner of a number of lessons and guitars websites, phenomenal player, knowledgeable guy, not everybodies cup of tea, but up there with the best forumites this place has seen

Honourable mentions as I can't go through all of them, and I know I've misdsed some awesome ones

dc in dc

Jerry Picker

seifukusha - font of knowledge on MIJ guitars

Zenbu - as above

AtomHeartMother - a condstant pain to mods but quality poster and pretty whacky

joecool1963

Look there's 10 000 threads at least going back at least 10 years.....go and browse, you'll get what I mean.

He asks the most random' date=' specific questions that are usually answerable in one post, and they generally aren't good for discussion. Ironically, people will spend pages upon pages arguing over this stuff in his threads. He rarely posts in his own threads too. I understand a language barrier, but he's almost like a spam bot. There were conspiracies about mods or admins starting new accounts to pick up board traffic and stimulate discussion right when he reappeared after a few years absence. [b']It's totally within the realm of reason that an Admin can commandeer an old, dead account and start posting from it.[/b]

I'm not accusing mods or admins of anything. Just pointing out the possibilities.

I have the capability, but I've never done that, and to the best of my knowledge, no one else here does either. Who has the time? I'm busy recording and testing gear and I write tons of posts - I don't need an alt to post a lot. :lol:

• Members
I've had a try, but I can't do it, as it appears that whatever was left of HCEG 1 has all been taken down, but if you go and visit Mark Wein's forum, you'll see a few old HCEGers over there, still posting quality stuff

Wyatt - what he didn't know about valve is not worth knowing, every post he contributed to ws vastly enhanced by quality Gospel like knowledge

_Pete_ - Great player, great modder, his step by step installation of a Floyd onto a PRS SE after he was struggling for money was just superb.

Frets - The Reverend....still visits on occasion, contributed to all aspects of HCEG life from hints n tips, spiritual advice, but legendary for his

Jams, one of which is still stickied for posterity.

CSM - posted for ages, until someone worked he was none other than Charles Shaar Murray - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaar_Murray

Warriorpoet - awesome player, builder of effects pedals, responsible for one of the best threads ever in this place where he built a thinline Tele:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/1101944-

GilmourD - What he didn't know about Pink Floyd and david Gilmour aagin, not worth knowing, played in a Floyd tribute band, great tech, great player superb quality contributor.

Atrox - aka Brian Mason, member of 3-4 bands, one of the bolt neck builders club that I was proud to be part of, who progressed by learning here, passing what he knew on here, and showing step by step builds

ajcoholic - canuck who ran his family furniture business, could knock up a setneck Lp trype guitar over a few days and whose build threads gave many people so much detail that people who never thought they could were knocking out their own dream Les Paul type guitars

Black Hat Hunter - Owner of a number of lessons and guitars websites, phenomenal player, knowledgeable guy, not everybodies cup of tea, but up there with the best forumites this place has seen

Honourable mentions as I can't go through all of them, and I know I've misdsed some awesome ones

dc in dc

Jerry Picker

seifukusha - font of knowledge on MIJ guitars

Zenbu - as above

AtomHeartMother - a condstant pain to mods but quality poster and pretty whacky

joecool1963

Look there's 10 000 threads at least going back at least 10 years.....go and browse, you'll get what I mean.

Sorry but I dont understand, What have you tried but cant do?

You seem to infer that only experts in some field or other should be posting or are welcome contributors. What about us that read more than we post, those that in general are here to improve our experience or learn something? (And have a laugh or bit of banter along the way, god forbid that should happen!)

If I read this correctly, you have answered your own question. This place has become dry and factual, everything else is discouraged. As you say, most of the old crowd still post somewhere, does nobody wonder why its not here? The technology was a factor but far from the only one. I have always read many more threads than I post on, I now do 90% of it elsewhere. I certainly dont feel part of the clique that is now HCEG.

• Members

I have the capability, but I've never done that, and to the best of my knowledge, no one else here does either. Who has the time? I'm busy recording and testing gear and I write tons of posts - I don't need an alt to post a lot. lol.gif

That may be the case Phil but theres little doubt in my mind that if the various mods and admin stopped posting here for a couple of weeks the posts would plummet. It has a certain club feel about it now, the "in" gang and the rest, us who Ratae makes it perfectly clear are not welcome, because we have no particular area of expertise to share. Well I'm sorry but thats most members. Perfectly portrayed by his attitude, as he says, if youre not happy then....... Which is exactly what people have done.

Archived