NAD! Fender "Custom" Vibrolux

Vibroluxman

• Members

First new amp in a few years. Traded my Taylor and a Musicman 112 Sixty Five straight for this and the Fulltone FB-2. Absolutely love it. This is the amp I've been wanting for 11 years, but have never been able to buy. Literally every time I've tried the amp has sold from the shop before I've gotten the chance to purchase it. Tried about 6 times since I first played one. It's the sound I've had in my head. Love the tremolo, love the understated reverb compared to most Fenders, great cleans and overdrive. Mine is a 1997ish with the Eminence blue frame alnicos. Super happy.

Here's a photo with my customized Les Paul.

12249711_10100116409810723_1524798004579061478_n.jpg?oh=4fa3f46cf8e75164146203e4697e3f93&oe=56BD6B9A

cc5606c01d65e475a1d43cb75433a077.thumb.jpg.f0acae20dca388964cd878e97bced9bd.jpg

• Members

Ha Koiwoi, not a bad idea. I kept the Taylor for a decade. It's a great guitar, but it got unseated for me by my Martin 000-16GT (first year model with the wood fretboard) and my 1992 Gibson AJ. Didn't seem right to keep it sitting around unused, it deserves to be played. Very happy with what I replaced it with.

• Members

Fender makes a fanstastic amp and it sounds like you got over on the deal. Coincidently, a few years ago I traded my Musicman 65 112, along with a Japanese acoustic (Aspen) and a US made Washburn WM3 for a Mesa Heartbreaker. I loved the low maintenance (SS preamp) appeal of the Musicman but felt like something was missing with the tone. Love to hear what you thought about it in comparison to your newly acquired vibrolux.

• Members
Fender makes a fanstastic amp and it sounds like you got over on the deal. Coincidently' date=' a few years ago I traded my Musicman 65 112, along with a Japanese acoustic (Aspen) and a US made Washburn WM3 for a Mesa Heartbreaker. I loved the low maintenance (SS preamp) appeal of the Musicman but felt like something was missing with the tone. Love to hear what you thought about it in comparison to your newly acquired vibrolux.[/quote']

Loved the cleans of the Musicman. Dirt was decent enough, and could always use the ocd with it. Reverb was a bit more present, but I love bias tremolo on the lux. The vibrolux gets a bit more of the fender vibe while having a great OD sound on tap faster. Also way lighter. My MM had a peavey black widow which was heavier than sin. Happy to not have to haul it around anymore. It became a dustcatcher because of the weight.

• Members
I'm like a kid. I see the pictures and read the responses and decide that might just be the perfect amp. Now I want one

Congratulatins and enjoy the sweetness

Having used and liked a couple of Vibrolux Reverbs over the years I too was interested in the "Custom" model but, when I tried a few of them out I found them to be unacceptably noisy. I read somewhere that there was a mod available to lower the noise floor.

I'm wondering if Fender incorporated the mod in later models or if the amplifier still has the noise issue.

• Members

Fender did the amp a disservice calling it a vibrolux. It's a modified vibroverb circuit, more brownface 1963 than 1965 blackface. Think the love child of a tweed and blackface amp and you get the brown sound. Bias trem instead of opto trem makes the vibrato circuit throb more. Breaks up and has more of a tweed vibe, while a bit more of the blackface sweetness to the clean tones.

The circuit doesn't have a negative feedback loop, thus the baseline hum. The new 68 custom does. You can add one to the custom if you want, but you change the vibe of the amp. More clean headroom, less breakup. Some mods put a pot in there so you can dial in the NFL. The 68 custom takes the circuit of a blackface vibrolux, lowers the negative feedback loop a bit for more grit and adds the bias trem instead of opto trem. The custom inputs are more tweed oriented as well to differentiate the two channels. I'd love to try one at some point, but this is the amp that I wanted. Time and time again I've been at shows where I've loved the tone, look back and this custom vibe was staring at me. Glad to finally own one. It screams with the fat boost 2 on as well. Takes a great tone and just expands upon it.

• Members

Thanks for the detail.

I was hesitant to move on the amp because of the noise but I eventually ended up with a Mesa Boogie Subway Blues which is a 20Watt (2xEL84) amp that I normally run at half-power and turn all the way up. It, like the Custom Vibrolux, does not have a Master Volume and it's so noisy I can't record with it but it works great live and the FOH guys love it.

Archived