Issue installing a Roland GK3 pick-up

Tomm Williams

• Members

I'm attempting to install one of these on one of my Strats and having a slight issue. The directions I've found on-line speak to mounting the pick-up providing for a slight amount of clearance between the strings and pick-up when fretted at the last fret. Problem is, I can't get the pickup in place without lifting the strings up. When fretted at the last (21st) fret, the strings touch the pick-up and I don't consider either of my Strats as having extremely low actions. Anyone else run into this ? Suggestions ?

Found some info on a V-guitar site, apparently this is a common issue with most people electing to shim the neck to change the angle enough to accommodate the GK3.

• Members

From what you're describing, it sounds like you'll have to shim the neck. When you tilt the neck back, it will lower the string height. Then you can raise the string height back up to allow the pickup to fit under the strings.

• Members
Are you sure there are no shims beneath the GK3? Usually those pickups come with shims so you can get them high enough / close enough to the strings. I've never seen one without shims that was too high... but I've never tried a GK3 - just the older GK2's.

No shims Phil, this is a used unit from a GC but appears to be in very nice shape. I'm still communicating with Roland to obtain an install kit with all the shims, tape, etc...... I guess if I'm careful with the neck shim, the PU shouldn't need any itself.

• Members
From what you're describing, it sounds like you'll have to shim the neck. When you tilt the neck back, it will lower the string height. Then you can raise the string height back up to allow the pickup to fit under the strings.

I was guessing the same, I imagine it would not take much of a shim to get a little clearance.

• Members

This is a bit aside from your original question but when you mentioned about getting an install kit from Roland with tape, etc. I was wondering how you plan on mounting the GK housing/control unit to your guitar. I got a bracket for my GK2 that allows you to mount the unit without drilling into the body or using tape. You just bolt the GK unit to the bracket, loosen the strap peg, slide the bracket between the peg and the body, and re-tighten. Its easily removeable and leaves no holes or tape marks on the guitar. You may already know about that, but just thought I'd mention it.

Archived