What I did get is more money

What he got is mojo

• Members

A relic in the making.

The checking and cracks on my old guitar made it more appealing to the buyer

The yellowing and staining are aging and the buyer loved it

What I did get is more money

What he got is mojo

Do YOU like it? Not a sales thing, but personally...?

• Members

Yeah, nothing about nitro is really about the look or feel, it's all about "the sound" of the thinner coat. Whether or not I've ever been able to discern that subtle difference is an entirely different question.

I own one guitar that is the worst of both worlds, although it really sounds very good. It's a '52 Telecaster Reissue. It has a thin poly finish topped with a nitro finish. So you don't get the "thin breathability" of a nitro finiish, but you do get all the sticky/tacky feel of the nitro. I mean, WTF were they thinking? But still, it does sound great for a Tele with more depth than most Tele's I've played. It's the only guitar I ever bought where I left a hand towel in its case to be able to wipe down the "tacky" after each play. I mean, it's worse than any of my Gibsons with a pure nitro finish.

• Members

• turns yellow, like it has tobacco stains
  • it's sticky
  • it "checks" and/or develops hairline cracks
  • it's soft and non protective compared to other finishes

I totally agree... I much prefer poly... I'm sure there will be those that disagree, but I like to keep my guitars looking new for as long as possible...

• Members

• turns yellow, like it has tobacco stains
  • it's sticky
  • it "checks" and/or develops hairline cracks
  • it's soft and non protective compared to other finishes

You forgot to mention that is also the cause of surface static on the more recent Gibsons (some worse than others obviously).

I own four guitars with nitro finishes (two US Hamers, a Gibson and a Washburn) and they all sound really really good. And yes I've had other quality set-neck, humbuggy guitars that didn't sound as warm to me. It's a trade-off to be sure. Seems to be more of a factor on set-necks going for that warm thick tone than it is on bolts with single coil chime though, for whatever reason.

• Moderators

Ok, ideally all guitars, of at least a natural finish would be French polished, and there are some finishes that with the aid of dyes could be dyed and then French polished. Nitro was a great evolution from French polish as it allowed paint and finish makers to dissolve colours into a solvent that flashed off, could be applied in very thin coats, which has been a requirement for musical instruments since day one, and which gives a very aesthetically pleasing finish. The checking and yellowing are the result of a natural product ageing, and the checking is a result of the guitar not being kept in it's ideal conditions. For instance, a guy nearby who i do some work for has a 61 ES-330 which has not one sign of checking, yes the binding is lightly yellowed, as is my 68 LPC, but it's rather pleasing to my eye.

The Japanese in the late 70s and early 80s with quite stringent laws on volatile organic compounds opted to use polyurethane, and thinned it to a consistency that allowed them to lay on nice thin coats, and for me this is possibly a great halfway house.

However both of the latter is preferable in any form to the excuse for a finish known as polyester, straightforward unashamed plastic. It's use is to mask off what is underneath, to fill shabby gaps left by poor workmanship and leave a finish that will outlast all human civilizations, and in the process deaden and dampen musical notes.

Polyester should only be involved in the music world as a coating for sheet music stands.

• Members

Do YOU like it? Not a sales thing, but personally...?

Yes ,I call it charecter. Even my wiith my acousticI opted for an "aged " or tinted finish

Original 1951 nitro beauty ,not perfect but honest. There are some very light cracks but they're hard to see

fetch?id=31619289

• Members

They were automotive finishes readily available in interesting (rather than muted domestic) colors and, at that time, optimal for mass production, with their fast drying.

When car paint moved on so did guitar paint. and both did for similar reasons. The only reason to use nitro now is for authentic restoration of old instruments.

• Members

what kind of crappy nitro are you playing?

All my nitro guitars are smoother feeling than my poly guitars.

Nitro simply looks more natural as well. Poly guitars look like candied apples.

I prefer the way nitro ages way more than the old beat up plastic bag look that poly finishes end up with.

And the fact it never stops evaporating and IS flexible means it allows for way more resonance than the cocoon like impenetrable prison that is poly. And thin poly doesn't equal thin nitro.....not by a long shot.

I'm totally willing to give up the ONLY advantage of poly......durability.....to get the benefits...

I love my poly guitars, but if I could make them nitro I would in a heartbeat.

• Members

Poly guitars look like plastic, because that's basically what it is.

I dig nitro for a number of reasons. I like how every nitro guitar ages differently. They're unique, like snowflakes or fingerprints. No two age exactly the same. I like the feel of nitro, too, at least when it's done right. It has a texture I'm just addicted to. I want to feel that all day long. Poly feels so boring and sterile compared to nitro.

I don't even get into whether nitro makes a guitar sound better or not. I've played poly guitars that sounded wonderful and nitro guitars that sounded shambolic. The paint just ain't the magic of a guitar's sound. It's a small part.

• Members

I can respect the reasons here that people like nitro as they are the exact reasons I don't like it. Yet, as much as I feel timber does have a huge effect on tone, I don't feel a thin layer of nitro will sound any different from a thin layer of poly. But that's me.

• Members
I can respect the reasons here that people like nitro as they are the exact reasons I don't like it. Yet' date=' as much as I feel timber does have a huge effect on tone, I don't feel a thin layer of nitro will sound any different from a thin layer of poly. But that's me.[/quote']

I find this kind of funny. The same guy who goes on and on about the subtle differences in tone wood sees no difference in finishes

• Members

I won't rise to the bait. I'll just keep shooting, repairing and playing nitro finished guitars. When I get a poly guitar in the shop for work I tell the owner that I will do my best with the finish but don't expect it to look great.

btw - it is possible to shoot a really thin poly finish - Taylor is making a big fuss about being able to do it on select models. I think they're bragging that its 3.5 mils on the 800 series. Obviously most people don't do that and on an electric I doubt that it makes any difference.

• Members

I find this kind of funny. The same guy who goes on and on about the subtle differences in tone wood sees no difference in finishes

Billy responded: I know right? It's odd but let's put this in perspective... It's not any finish, like really thick poly ones, it's comparing a thin nitro to a thin poly.

I agree with Billy that the wood is the most important variable followed by what and how the finish is applied. My Fenders resonate very well with poly finishes. Does the finish impact the guitar's tone? Yes, I believe so, but not how you might think. I have two Fender Strats with Alder bodies, one is a 93 Mexican, the other an 89 American. The American has a thinner poly coat than the Mexican, and they are both dynamic sounding instruments with more bottom end than Strats I have with Ash and Poplar bodies. However, the Mexican has more bite, whereas the American is smoother sounding with more harmonic overtones. As I have replaced the trem block in the Mexi build, I believe this is the best explanation.

Archived