I have SG gas

mistersully

• Members

bad... real bad

Played a MIJ tokai SG yesterday and that's where it started.

Going to try a few 2014 gibby SG standards tomorrow

I feel like SGs might be the perfect guitar... i've just never really gone for the look of them, but damn, they sound good

I'm sick of the weight of my LP

stayed tuned! :)

• Moderators

I've been trying to cure mine for a while now Mr S. Had three attempts, a nice ebony standard, but the black was not doing it for me, a lovely 2004 Std, but for what I got it for it was worth flipping, but then a slightly scruffy Edwards popped up for £275, so snagged that.

I do want it as a vehicle for some vintage pickups tho, ie Seths, for bluesy/jazzy moments.

• Members

I had one of these back in the mid '70s - got it for $250 in a pawn shop - ebony fingerboard and epoxy potted Super-Humbuckers. I ended up putting some Gibson Logo pickups from a 335 in it and it was really versatile. I could cover some warm jazz tones, plinky country riffs and fully saturated Santana type stuff with it. I liked the long travel bridge adjustment and, although some people complained they didn't sound as good as the tune o matic, I thought is sounded fine.

im92777873539552.jpg

I was young and hot to get a Les Paul so, regrettably, I sold the SG. I only had the LP for a year and a half before it was stolen out of the back of a Honda Civic after a gig. I had put the Gibson Logo pickups in the Les Paul so I lost those as well.

just looking at the above picture reminds me of being blown away by Jeff Beck's "Wired" album and trying to pull some of those sounds out of my SG

• Members

It wasn't just guitar players either. My drummer, bass and keyboard player friends were equally inspired by "Wired."

I aslo had a stratocaster stolen but I walked into a bar about a year later and saw it up on the stage. After loosing my Les Paul I made certain the serial number was written on the receipt for the strat so it was just a matter of calling the local police to get that one back.

I never did see the Les Paul again although it is a relatively rare model with a maple fingerboard and I chased a few of them down but none of them were mine.

• Members

played some today... i didn't like the width of the neck/nut on the 2015 model... the min-Etune thing was acting up on the 2014 model i played... which was a shame as i use a lot of open tunings and i was trying to be open minded about it,,, i think i want one without though... still looking

• Members

During my ongoing fiddling around with and test driving excursions of what seems like 101 SGs, the one fundamental thing I've discovered with SGs is that you want to go with an SG that has a fat neck and a deep neck/body joint. This combination seems to just send that thin sculpted mahogany SG body into resonant singing ecstasy when you play it plugged into a dirty Marshall amp.

On the other hand. the original "Les Paul" SG from 1961 is just the opposite, as the neck carve is a bit too "speedy" thin and the wimpy neck/body joint is flexy.

• Members

I have Gibson gas in general.

I have a faded Flying V that's about 10 years old and it's the BEST guitar I've ever played. Perfect guitar. Feels great, so comfortable to play. Sounds good!

I'm dying for a Les Paul studio faded or an SG faded. I've played both and can't decide which I like better. I'm kind of leaning towards the Les Paul.

I keep playing my friends SG faded, it's one of the older ones, it has the crescent moon Inlays. Great sounding and feeling guitar.

Decisions, decisions.

• Members

Just love the looks of those, esp. that 2013 with the whammy. The choice of many of my Rock Guitar heroes (mainly Krieger, John Cippolina and Angus), but for me the feel was just too different. My all mahogany double-cut replacement guitar is a Hamer Special which is just a fabulous guitar, though for most it probably lacks the stylistic appeal of an SG. But for me, though it has the same upper fret access, the body is a bit shorter and it just feels a whole lot less alien.

• Members

It took me a while to warm up to the devil horn look of the SGs, but now they are one of my most favorite guitar designs.

I prefer a LP visually, but I tend to prefer the tone of an SG. I like the "in between Fender and Gibson" sound they produce. While they are a bit thicker sounding than say a Strat and not as deep sounding as a LP, they still have more spank and vibe to them than most LPs but with more girth to their tones than Fenders.

I probably prefer them with P90s, but I'm also rather fond of the 490R/490T combo that's usually found on the Specials.

But to date I've collected SGs with

P-90s

P-100

Classic 57s

490R/490T

490R/498T

496R/500T

Minihumbuckers

Burstbuckers 1 &; 2

Burstbucker Pros (a modified Epiphone Deluxe)

EMG 85/81 (an Epiphone G-400)

"Shrimp Salad

Shrimp Po' Boy

Shrimp Kebab,

Shrimp Stew . . . . .

And that's about it."

One of my faves turned out to be a SG Special 60s Tribute in a natural finish. It's a bit sexy and a bit of a plain Jane as well, but it's got more vibe to it than most. I like to play cleaner tones, more so than heavy distortion, so my SGs with the hotter pickups get a bit less attention.

108010580-front-l.jpg

fetch?filedataid=113049

Archived