NGD! Yamaha SG2000 reissue

AlexMC

• Members

A Yamaha SG2000 has been on my 'want' list for several years; I finally bit the bullet, sold some gear and found this beauty on eBay UK:

IMGP0354.jpg

IMGP0361.jpg

IMGP0350.jpg

IMGP0357.jpg

IMGP0356.jpg

IMGP0348.jpg

Except a few pick marks on the pick guard, it's absolutely mint... no fret wear, scratches, misting of the finish or even any tarnishing of the gold plate. Still got the plastic on the control cavity cover.

The build quality is fantastic... beautiful maple top, tight-grained ebony fingerboard, mother of pearl inlays that show 10 different colours, bone nut, 5-ply binding. Pickups have 3 mounting screws for adjusting parallel to the strings. Really solid pots, clean wiring, push-push tone pots to split the coils; through-neck and of course a 10oz lump of brass under the bridge.

The sustain is incredible, with a soft attack and really contrasting sounds from each pickup. Lovely woody tones when played clean or mildly overdriven. Loving the hard rock sounds, too... Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, Slash sounds are easily available.

The numpty who sold it to me had loosened the truss rod nut completely, adjusted the pickup screws so they matched the radius of the fretboard, and set the bridge saddles in a straight line leaving the intonation way out. The g string was binding on the nut so I widened the slot and rounded off the 'shoulders' at front edge, before adding a day of chapstick... All of which appear to have done the trick.

This is my third high-end Yamaha and I will never part with it!

• Members

I'd forgotten how a new guitar can inspire you to play different styles of music. I play my Pacifica 904 99% of the time, but now I've got a solid dual HB guitar I've dug out a bunch of tabs I haven't played in years!

Archived