Yamaha SG2000 reissue vs original?

AlexMC

• Members
Why not a Gibby? Had a friend with the original and though it had shredder action and was solidly built (boat anchor)' date=' I didn't think it was much of an instrument.[/quote']

I only buy Yamaha musical instruments. Good bang for the buck (they don't overcharge like Gibson), better quality control (volutes on headstock joints, tighter neck joints), better materials (ebony vs rosewood fingerboard, mother of pearl vs mother of toilet seat inlays).

• Members
given Yamaha consistanly I'd expect the reissues to be every bit as good if not better.

Pine my friend, I seriously doubt that any reissue has even been as good as the original. Especially with guitars from the 70's/80's. Good mahogany was easier to come by then, and they actually used humans to put them together.

• Members
Why not a Gibby? Had a friend with the original and though it had shredder action and was solidly built (boat anchor)' date=' I didn't think it was much of an instrument.[/quote']

Why not a Yammie? I wonder what original SG2000 you tried that wasn't much of an instrument. :eek:

I've had four Gibsons over the years (still have one). Not one of them hold a candle to my two japanese made Yamahas.

• Members
Another question about the SG2000... if I pick one up I'd like to perform the peter green mod' date=' i.e. rotate the magnet in one of the humbucker. Anyone know if this is possible?[/quote']

I thought the neck p'up was merely rotated 180 degrees. No?

Here's the closest thing I have to the subject matter, but this is it's lowly cousin, the SBG700S

fetch?id=31591020

Not to compare it to the SG2000, but the SG2000 was what made me what to grab this guy. That was probably at least 13 years ago. But MF was blowing these out for $350 (back in the day when they still charged shipping - so that and tax were extra).

But I found the stock pickups to be a bit sterile sounding. My first mod was a Duncan '59 neck, which sounded muddy in this guitar and too thin when coil split, and I put a Duncan Pearly Gates in it which sounded like an ice-pick. My next mod worked better. I knew that the ceramic p'ups can be more flat on the EQ, so I got a Gibson 496R and 500T. That took care of the mud in the neck and leveled out the highs from the bridge, and both sound pretty good split and with dual split controls, it has a lot of tonal options.

It's still not one of my top favorite tone machines, but I do now enjoy it, and as referenced in a post above, the luthier I used for some of my soldering work loved seeing that volute at the neck/headstock joint. He made a similar comment that he thought Yamaha built a better guitar than Gibson. Well, I've had better luck with Gibsons, but no doubt, Yamaha makes a good value guitar.

I also remember reading that John McLaughlin preferred the Yamaha SG2000s of the 70s over the Gibson LPs of that same era, saying that the Yamaha's had a more consistent higher quality [then].

And speaking of "Reissue SG2000s" I saw one in a store back in the mid 90s that was a real beauty. I wish I'd bought it. The store owner told me it was a special anniversary model. A real beauty of HC Sunburst.

My guess was it was one of these

http://www.musicdealfinder.com/guitars/electric-guitars/rare-yamaha-sg-sbg-1996-anniversary-edition-only-130-made-like-sg-2000/

I sure wish I'd bought it. New it was about 1/4 of that price on sale.

• Members

I've just sold my RGX520FZ on eBay UK - for £260, £80 more than I paid for it 5 years ago. So now I'm after an SG2000. There's an absolutely mint one I'm watching right now with a BIN of £1400 which I think is maye a little expensive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231688265127?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What do you think?

• Members

Thank you. Something about that guitar has made it hard for me to part with it. It gives me a certain comfort when I pull it out, even though it might not have quite all the resonant vibe of some of my better gits. But yeah, it plays well and with the dual coil splits, it can do a few different tricks.

• Members

Depending on your sense of adventure, you could order one out of Japan for cheaper.

There are two on digimart right now....

This 81 one is about 885 pounds

http://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop169/DS02974291/

and this 1980 is a little beat up but much cheaper at 540 pounds

http://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop4540/DS02629677/

I don't know about taxes and duty to the UK but I would imagine that even with that, it would still be cheaper than the one you're looking at.

Plus these are old wood, if that matters to you.

With this site you have to find the email for the store yourself and see if they a) speak english and b) will ship internationally.

The more expensive one is easy. It's at Kurosawa and I'm almost positive they deal with overseas stuff on a regular basis.

The other store may take a bit more effort.

Archived