Do you use a trem?

billybilly

• Members

After playing acoustic for 20 years then getting an electric around 12 years ago, I loved having a trem, it was a real novelty and loved it. Now, I don't use one at all, well, occasionally on my strat, but not like in the past.

Admittedly, my bends and vibrato were quite weak when I started electric but are strong now so that's part of it, no dive bombing here either so I just don't need it.

What about you?

• Members

No. As most of you know, my first electric was a Fernandes Strat. I blocked the trem shortly after I got the guitar. I found it a pain to tune with the trem. It also had intonation issues and I got rid of it and bought a hardtail Schecter. I haven't looked back. I'm guessing it may have to do with being primarily an acoustic player.

• Members

No. Personally I just hate it. And dive bombing is fine if either you or your audience are 14 or under otherwise it is a bit sad.

The only trem I would actually want is a trans-trem. Even then I'm not sure how much I would use it.

[video=youtube_share;U-rjLQM4mMg]

• Members

• Semi-hollow hardtail: nope
  • Strat: very occasionally
  • Jag: Pretty often

The trem on jags and jazzmasters is just magical. I know folks say you can play nearly any genre on any good guitar, but my little Squier jag...well, it doesn't naturally have blues sustain, isn't an out of the box baritone, but boy howdy does it love shoe gaze, etc :love: . To be honest, I probably don't even use it as much as I should.

• Members

I tend to overuse so I only have one Strat with an active whammy bar. I think Paul Reed Smith got it right with the upgraded Strat style mechanism (he basically added locking tuners, slightly more stable bridge saddles and a graphite nut) I use an American Deluxe Strat with locking tuners and it is very stable.

I try to keep it in context but for Hallowe'en one year I dressed up as Hendrix so the bar and a little feedback was in context all night long.

• Members

I occasionally use the bar for squeels, flutters, and dive bomb sounds. that's it. i don't really use the bar ( i don't really need one). but i add those sound effects coz its cool. evh, satch, and vai, can't really play a guitar without a floyd rose system. i think having a trem and using it is mandatory for any rock guitar style.

• Members

hmm put 5 strings in my strat and blocked it... never thought about using... but as lefty i use a hendrixed righty strat and the bar is in he way somehow, so i removed it from the beginning...

maybe i should give it a try some day, if it worked for hendrix why shouldn't it for me?

• Members

I love Strats and have a few set up with floating trems. I love the sound of the springs that gives a Strat it's distinctive sound but only use a trem bar sparingly as anything more can lead to tuning issues unless you use a Floyd or other locking system which changes that characteristic sound that I love.

• Members

still sound good in the rockabilly style. i only have one strat with a trem now just in case i get the urge ,my strings last for ever now on the tremless strats, so much so that i almost forget the gauge of the strings at times and my re stringing procedure and technique i have to think about it almost ,lol.

• Members

I have a G&L Comanche, Cort Sunset 1 with Bigsby + roller bridge, and Les Trem 2 I use on Reverend 6 gun or Guild SF IV. All stay in tune (amazing). Bends and all that are good, but hard to bend down full chord. I have gotten into surfish music lately and Twin Peaks music, so need trem. No divebombing or any of that. Used with a little taste, adds a lot to the sound imho.

• Members

I may only use it on 1 out of 20 songs where the music needs it. I have 4 guitars with Trem systems. Two of them, the Steinberger and Strat type build maintain excellent tuning and produce really good string tones when they are used. The other two Strats don't sound as good when the strings slacken so I don't bother floating the bridge or maintain it to stay in tune when in use. I just lock them down to the body and use them like non Trem guitars.

• Members

On my strat I don't really use it. I just crank the spring tension to be greater than the string tension so the trem sits solid on the body. I don't want to "block" it as I want the transmission of vibration through the trem and into the body without any extra pieces dampening or having and negative effects.

But I do have two floyd equipped guitars and I love using the trem on those. Most of my playing doesn't involve it but I love a good dive bomb or pinch squeal pull up every now and again. Plus floyds are just so sensitive that you can do all kinds of cools very subtle vibrato type things. To borrow a drummer's term....almost ghosting notes.

Trems are just like anything else. A tool. All depends on how you use it. Some people use subtle trem vibrato and sound great and some don't. Some use the bar like they're yanking a slot machine arm, and sound great and some don't.

• Members

First of all, I don't call it a trem. Leo got a lot of things right, but he got that wrong, it's vibrato, not tremolo.

I use is sparingly. Mostly for bending down (although my Parker can be blocked, low only or free-floating). It's a good effect in places, but IMHO it can be overused.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

3 of my electrics have trem (vibratos): strat, jag & an artcore with a bigsby. I like using them but IMO the best way to use them is occasionally & sparingly.

For me a strat sounds best when I float the bridge... I've tried decking & blocking but didn't care for the results of either.

Never owned or or even played a guitar with a Floyd so I have no opinions on them.

Archived