She's done but not dusted.

billybilly

• Members

Okay, she is finally done.

I couldn’t get to taking more shots of the process so I’m just putting up the completed version with a link to the build thread. It needs a final clean-up too but whatever,here it is.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...seeking-advice

What went wrong?

• I did not specify the desire to have a lighter colored mahogany for the neck and it is by far the darkest piece of mahogany I have ever seen, yep, that’s a clear coat on it, no stain. I’ve warmed to it as it’s unique but not what I had intended. I could stain the body but probably won’t.
  • It does not sound how I thought it would, at all. Far thinner and bright, like a tele, lol.
  • The control cavity for the electronics is a bit small, I had to be careful, no biggy.

What went right?

• The electronics and grounding was perfect first try! Not fun when a signal has gone astray.
  • The neck, albeit not matching, is amazing. Perfect feel for my hands and the fretwork was perfect. I got it from bestguitarparts, which is somehow related to USACG. A 25 inch scale is just “perfect” for me.
  • Action and playability is very good. Everything aligned with no hitches. It took a bit to settle when I was setting it up and patience paid off… Low action, no buzzing, etc…
  • The welding tip cleaners worked on my nut, thanks! I usually just sand the base but with the earvana nut having a shelf, couldn’t do that.
  • Good sustain, good resonance (you can feel the guitar vibrate when you strike the strings)

So, final conclusions…

Bolt on necks will always sound inherently different, regardless of tonewood. The attack is just different, more “pingy” if you will and direct with a lack of warmth that set neck guitars have, IMO.

It’s very fun to play and very comfortable, 7.2 pounds and balanced. I’ve finally found my perfect neck, a U shaped .90 to .99, lots of shoulder for my bends.

I’ve got a Burstbucker Pro in the neck and a BG Bucker Dark in the bridge. I’m pretty sure I’ll be yanking them out searching for a thicker; less trebly sound to match the guitars inherent frequency. Suggestions are welcome. Flat wound strings? I really have never tried them, what do you think?

Have a good day,

Billy

I had the buckers so it cost $580-US to build, inclusive of everything, shipping, finishing materials, etc...

DSC03887_zpsqobf4dte.jpgDSC03880_zpsvgf6qwxq.jpgDSC03885_zpsnxq3vvrx.jpgDSC03878_zpsyz5y0c5h.jpg

• Members

Thanks, glad to hear you like the neck as well, it did take some getting used to, having expectations, I should know better. :)

It's clear, evenly EQ'd and resonant, but brighter than you would expect for a mahogany guitar. A bit punchy too... I'm still putting it through it's paces. It really does sound a lot like a tele with humbuckers, a little darker but again, not what you would think.

I'm happy and will enjoy tinkering with it.

Cheers

• Members

Good job. Mahoganies can vary a lot it color (and there are a number of different varieties too). Its not uncommon to have to stain them.

Otherwise, I know you were interested in seeing how a bolted neck mahogany guitar with humbuckers was going to sound - interesting that its not what you expected. Do you think it is the pups? What did you use for caps and pots? Also, I'm used to seeing the bridge humbucker mounted with the adjustable poles towards the bridge - why did you mount yours the other way (and does it make any difference)?

Glad the tip cleaners worked. Too many people buy a premade nut and don't do anything with it - the slots are almost always too high. Also glad you like the neck - as I recall it has SS frets. Are they OK or did you have to futz with them? If you did are they a pain in the rear?

Any chance that you could make some clips (both pickups) and then again when you change them. Would be a good opportunity to see what the difference is.

Glad to see someone building guitars on this forum. Hopefully you've inspired others to give it a go.

• Members
Good job. Mahoganies can vary a lot it color (and there are a number of different varieties too). Its not uncommon to have to stain them.

Otherwise, I know you were interested in seeing how a bolted neck mahogany guitar with humbuckers was going to sound - interesting that its not what you expected. Do you think it is the pups? What did you use for caps and pots? Also, I'm used to seeing the bridge humbucker mounted with the adjustable poles towards the bridge - why did you mount yours the other way (and does it make any difference)?

Glad the tip cleaners worked. Too many people buy a premade nut and don't do anything with it - the slots are almost always too high. Also glad you like the neck - as I recall it has SS frets. Are they OK or did you have to futz with them? If you did are they a pain in the rear?

Any chance that you could make some clips (both pickups) and then again when you change them. Would be a good opportunity to see what the difference is.

Glad to see someone building guitars on this forum. Hopefully you've inspired others to give it a go.

Hi Freeman. I'm not sure what I thought it would sound like is relevant now. It sounds like a cross between a tele and a les paul, which it is. I thought, given the wood, it would lend itself more towards a les paul sound but regardless, it is very resonant so I can't complain... Nothing worse than getting dead wood. The SS frets might be a factor too with the treble response. The frets were pretty good when they came but I always roll the edges of the board a little with a AA battery then give the fret edges a quick file, taking the ends off. I have an industrial fret file that has been invaluable.

Good eye catching the flipped bucker, it does make a subtle difference with base/treble response but the new bucker (see below), is correctly placed.

I had a warmer bucker laying around (a BG Hellabucker) and it suits it much better. The Burstbucker Pro in the neck is bright but clear, not sure if I'll change it as the clean tone is very good. One day perhaps but I'll give it a chance.

I used the diagram below for wiring with a .22 orange sprague cap and 500k Bourns pots. .

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T11_02/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch1-Volume0Tone001.html

It's amazing how profound having a nut filed correctly can make to the action and play-ability. High nuts are nuts!

I'm working on setting up a home studio so clips may be coming but not immediately.

Cheers,

Billy

Archived