Joe Bonamassa plays Epiphones now?

Grant Harding

• Members

No, it's called marketing. Gibson owns his butt for endorsements, they pay him well, he puts his name on a guitar, and the kids by into it. Scumbaggery... no. Since Epi's are copies of Gibson, endorsed by Gibson. Distasteful.... yes, that I will agree to. Same as the Epiphone Slash.

• Members

No - I work with world class marketers. Slapping a budget logo on a super high end product in order to mislead customers is scumbag territory. It's also illegal here.

Billy Gibbons has incredible custom made copies created for him, made to look like the guitars he endorses. I can't get behind that.

• Members
He'd never do that. That's the ultimate in scumbaggery and I don't think he's that kind of guy.

Apparently he would.

He'll probably do that thing where he'll play the odd one live at a show and then give them away to fans.

And come on....this is a kid who grew up as a typical suburban "blues prodigy" child (father living his dreams vicariously no doubt) who when it came time to actually decide for himself what to do in life he simply chose music like other people choose being a dentist. "Well I'm good at this...might as well just keep doing it."

The guy has a ton of talent no doubt, and if you dig him then great. Different strokes...right?

But for me personally I find him very bland and boring and I don't sense any real passion for music when I see him on clips or in interviews. He just seems like someone doing his job.

So the idea he would endorse a line of epiphone's that he never REALLY plays comes as no shock to me whatsoever.

Still, having said that....calling it the "ultimate in scumbaggery"? Really? You think it's THAT bad?

I don't even like the guy, but I'd cut him some slack on this kind of thing.

Maybe the "blues festival" gigs aren't paying what they used to?

It's hard enough for musicians to make a buck these days. If this is what he wants to do to supplement income then more power too him.

• Members

IMHO, Epis sound good enough to be played on stage, especially if you get to try a few and pick the one you like. That being said I have no opinion if that's actually the case here. I'm pretty sure I've seen videosnof him playing his Pelham blue LP, but it may have been just a few times before giving it away.

• Members
Understood. The "ultimate scumbaggery" comment was a response to the suggestion that he would get Gibson to make him a perfect custom shop instrument that looks the same as the Epi that he's plugging.

oh..well yeah I don't know if he would do that. wouldn't surprise me either though.

look....epiphones are very nice guitars....no doubt about it. And as Papa said, most certainly good enough for gigging even at a high level. But still....as good as they are...they still can't compare to a guitar that's had it's wood scrutinized for the best weight and resonance, and a build that leaves nothing to chance. And I'm not talking your typical gibson custom shop stuff...which is just glorified factory production.

I don't begrudge any artist for wanting to play the best instrument they possibly can. In fact I get it. I love all my guitars but I wish all of them were AS good as my best one. It's just a whole other level.

Honestly I think anyone with half a brain these days should simply KNOW this is the kind of thing companies and artists just do. Accept it and realize that you're getting what you pay for. Like it's pretty much always been.

• Members

I'm not a fan, but it's entirely possible that it's the real McCoy with upgrades and setup. It's also possible that it's a fake Epi built by a luthier, and it may even be a luthier that doesn't work for Gibson. I'm sure everyone knows the story of Slash's Appetite Les Paul sporting the Gibson logo without actually being a Gibson.

• Members
I'm sure everyone knows the story of Slash's Appetite Les Paul sporting the Gibson logo without actually being a Gibson.

I live under a rock, so I didn't, but found this article pretty fascinating: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Legend_of_Slashs_Appetite_for_Destruction_Les_Paul (sorry, not meaning to derail the thread)

• Members

Enjoyed the article which only reinforced my beliefs about marketing "ethics". It's apparently OK to deceive people into believing you are playing a certain brand if that replica is top shelf quality. Just don't be trying to pass off some mass-produced Pac Rim stuff as the real deal. The artists as well as the luthiers are to blame for this mass deception and in this case, the big name brand as well, as they reward the forger with a Signature guitar line.

Kinda wish I had of picked up a Max Les Paul like fifteen years ago when they were still affordable though.

Archived