Looking to get a new Amp

Big_anda12

• Members

I've been playing guitar for two years now through under 20 watt amps (for a year I played through a 30 watt bass amp... yikes) and I'm looking to get a nice big amp. I have a shecter hellraiser c-1 and a Gibson 50's tribute SG, but mostly use my Shecter. I'm started to get good enough to get into metal (Slayer, Sylosis, Pantera) and I want to get a great amp to get a nice metal tone for it. I usually run through a Boss D-1 distortion pedal (looking to get a better one in the future).

I've been turned off of the idea of a Fender Mustan III or IV (V.2) because I've heard it doesn't sound that great. What I'd really like the Mustang for are the presets that it has built in and the 4 button switch it comes with.

I've been looking at getting myself an Ibanez TSA-15 head and a Bugera 212V amp. I'm wondering if this would be a good combination to go for (i'd like to get nice clean tones and heavily distorted tones). I've heard mixed reviews about Bugera amps but for the most part they sound like a pretty decent 2x12 cab. I'd probably eventually replace the stock speakers with Celestions because I've heard they are very good speakers. I also know basically nothing about tube amps so if someone could provide a basic over view of them I'd be forever grateful (maybe not forever).

If you think both of these options are terrible feel free to leave some amp suggestions, I'd go for anything under $600 at the moment.

• Members

Get a Hot Rod Deluxe, use it for sparkly fender cleans, and use a pedal for metal tones. Sounds good at low volumes and more than enough power for playing with a group.

All the Ibanez head does is add a tube screamer (you can find a tubescreamer cheap enough) and its only 15 watts. A 2x12 is not needed for a 15 watt head, though granted it might sound good.

You might like the Bugera V-22, btw if you need a 2x12.

• Members

Lots of options, especially if you're considering used gear as well. If you're playing metal and intend to join a band or at least jam with others, 15 watts is going to be pretty shy. It may get loud enough overall, but I don't imagine the clean headroom on that Ibanez would be that impressive. The HRD as mentioned is a pretty safe bet. Lots of them out there, and with the right pedal you can certainly get good high gain tones. I would take a look at Jet City amps too. If you're patient, you can find some great deals on American made tube amps. I saw a Mesa 50 Cal show up not that long ago for $550. Granted it's an older amp, but it will long outlive the budget amps of today.

• Members
Lots of options' date=' especially if you're considering used gear as well. . . .[/quote']

^ This. I don't know where you are but I just checked the local (St. Louis) CraigsList and found a number of good tube amps in the $350-575 range. One that caught my attention was a Peavey Windsor head and Marshall 1960A cab for $450. Lots of amp for metal or anything else.

• Members

I live in the islands where getting used gear can be pretty hard. I'd either order off of ebay or amazon and get it shipped down here. I've only just heard about Bugera recently but it's sounding very appealing. The other amps listed are a bit out of my price range. This Bugera in particular http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KZQNDQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=11JZ0W5VC434C7HTK2SN&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop is what I'm looking at right now.

• Members
Get a Hot Rod Deluxe, use it for sparkly fender cleans, and use a pedal for metal tones. Sounds good at low volumes and more than enough power for playing with a group.

All the Ibanez head does is add a tube screamer (you can find a tubescreamer cheap enough) and its only 15 watts. A 2x12 is not needed for a 15 watt head, though granted it might sound good.

You might like the Bugera V-22, btw if you need a 2x12.

I also have a V22 (Combo). Sweet amp for clean to grit. I can't say about pedals with it

• Members

Well, Bugera is probably your cheapest option for a tube amp. I've heard mixed reviews overall from "best amp evar!1!!" to "it caught fire and burned my studio to the ground". The only one I have direct experience with is the V22 which sounds just OK to me. You might want to take a second to think of why they are the cheapest option. Bugera amps are part of the Behringer company which has made their name selling knock-off, disposable audio products to the bottom of the market. In recent years they've consolidated their manufacturing, bought a bunch of other companies, and are trying to turn their name around. To me, they're still a despicable company that I won't buy even the smallest product from. That's just me though. Plenty of guys here will sing their praises.

If I were looking for an amp with your budget, I would be looking at Jet City, Blackstar, and some of Peavey's offerings. I'm willing to bet you can find a Peavey Valveking or 6505 combo. With just a quick look on ebay, I found this, which is what I would probably buy. It might end up over your budget after shipping, but it's a high quality, well-built amp with some great tones.

• Members

Some of the combo amps mentioned here seem to make sense, but keep in mind that if you are getting into metal or even high gain classic rock some kind of closed back speaker cabinet might appeal to you. Closed back cabs have much tighter low end than open back combos.

Just something to think about.

• Members

I've decided that I'm going to just go for a Peavey Bandit 112. But now I have another question. I have a decent sized room and to be honest I don't care for nosie pollution since most of my neighbors aren't around full time anyway. So what I really want to know is, Will 80-100 watts completely decimate my house? Talking in terms of extreme loudness here. What I want to know is would I be able to just come home and practice for an hour without going completely deaf and at the same time not disturb the neighbors too much. Also, if anyone knows a pretty good melo-death distortion pedal I wouldn't mind hearing about one of those aswell.

• Members
I've decided that I'm going to just go for a Peavey Bandit 112. . . . So what I really want to know is' date=' Will 80-100 watts completely decimate my house? Talking in terms of extreme loudness here. What I want to know is would I be able to just come home and practice for an hour without going completely deaf and at the same time not disturb the neighbors too much. . . .[/quote']

The 12" Blue Marvel speaker in the Bandit 112 is speced at 96.5 dB at 1 meter with 1 Watt input (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1017383-REG/peavey_488080_12_blue_marvel_classic_1238.html). 80 Watts represents another 19 dB so you're talking about 115.5 dB, which is pretty loud. Granted, you'll probably be sitting further from the amp than 1 meter but it will be plenty loud. Personally, I'd be concerned about hearing damage if you're really going to crank it.

• Members

Hehe. I have all three amps you asked about (Mustang III v2, TSA15 combo, and Bugera v22 combo). I like them all for different reasons.

As far as metal-type distortion pedals for your Bandit 112, you can get a tremendous range of sounds for not much coin from:

EHX Metal Muff

Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion

Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion

MXR Super Badass (or alternately the MXR Custom Badass Modified OD)

Archived