Anybody watch the VMA's?

wankdeplank

• Members

I lasted about ten minutes (turned it on as Kanye West was receiving an award from Taylor Swift) waiting, waiting for him to actually say something substantive, perhaps even contrite, instead of preening around, playing the fawning kids for maximum impact and then having the nerve to say, "I'm not a politician" and then "I'm running for President in 2020". Crazy. Obvious that both he and Taylor Swift were under the influence. With this and the running feud between Miley Cyrus and Nicki Minaj which apparently also had a few fireworks on the program - and do they include acts with actual musicians playing instruments anymore?

Am I wrong to be sad that the sanctity and dignity of music awards has come to this? I don't ever recall the artists I followed coming up fighting over or disputing an award or nomination. Reminded me of Dance Moms with their petty bickering - really woeful Reality TV. I sometimes feel sorry for my teenage daughter in this milieu (she plays a little piano and loves to sing). Although she did turn me onto these guys recently that are really quite brilliant, so perhaps all is not lost.

[video=youtube;lExW80sXsHs]

• Members

Come on....rock has always had it's share of fueds too. Roth and Hagar.....Young and Skynard, Santana and Gene Simmons, MJ and Sir Paul,

Dio and his band members, Oasis and Blur, Mick and Keith, Metallica and Mustaine, Gilmour and Waters,.....

The list is practically endless of rock stars being little beeeches to each other.

Today's pop stars just know how to use it to their advantage by doing it more in public.

As for awards shows....they've never had and sanctity.....

Jim Carrey sums it up best here starting at about 2 minutes.....

[YOUTUBE]HOok5swWdMU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

That was great with Carrey - comedic genius. My point with music awards shows has more to do with a shift in the emphasis away from the actual music and towards this incendiary tabloid approach. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think West is the one and only person to ever yank the mic out of a fellow artist's hand during an acceptance speech to cry foul. This is a breach in decorum no matter how you look at it. The feuds you speak of were of more of a business nature, generally people that had worked together or perhaps differences in opinion that were blown out of proportion. "By all accounts, the famous lyrical war of words between Neil Young and Lynyrd Skynyrd was more like a spirited debate between respectful friends than an actual feud"

(Read More: Neil Young vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd – Nastiest Rock Feuds | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-young-vs-lynyrd-skynyrd-nastiest-rock-feuds/?trackback=tsmclip)

This feels like a totally different animal with a racial component thrown in. I could go on and on about the way that today's "artists" are groomed, presented and promoted, but I won't. Instead, let me say that I really don't need to hear about how Kanye West learned to sew before launching his fashion line during a "Music" awards show.

• Members

I don't know....I just think when people talk about how things "used to be" better it's just code for "I don't like what's going on now". Or in short....getting old.

The music business is just that....a business. It's ALWAYS been about making money, and the artistry has always been secondary to that. Is it more pronounced nowadays? Probably. I'm for sure not saying you're wrong. I just don't think it matters. Or...who cares. It's pretty simple really....if these formats don't work for you then just don't pay attention.

Plenty of other places to find music you like. Leave all that stuff to the people who are interested in it. It's all just escapist hobby anyway. For us...we care about the music....for them...they care about the drama and personalities. I learned along time ago to stop letting that stuff bug me.

• Members

Man I do miss the good old days with bookstores, record shops and the dream of what a collision of artistic disciplines, music and video might produce. I guess SC is right, we're just a bunch of old fogeys.smiley-wink.png' alt='16x16_smiley-wink.png.ac1518ec0dabe458f31c1303ed9ec588.png' alt='smiley-wink'>.png'>

• Members

I don't even know why they call it Music TV. I haven't seen them play a music video in about 20 years?

VH1 took over that role. MTV is like a bad version of Rolling Stone Magazine. a bunch of pop crap that has nothing to do with music and centers around college kids who have no clue what's going on in the real world yet.

Its pretty sad because the station was the springboard for launching countless bands to stardom that would have gone completely unnoticed otherwise.

• Members

Absolutely 100% on board with that assessment. So that whole artsy thing of melding music with moving picture is lost. (I mean correct me if I'm wrong but I think VH1 only showcases the old so where are these videos that people are getting VMAs for?) I think back on some of the early videos that I thought groundbreaking at the time - Thriller - Michael Jackson, The Cars - You might think, Devo - It's a beautiful world, Dire Straits - money for nothing, Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio etc., etc. Some great storytelling and imagination but it just seemed like we had only scratched the surface of what was possible. Are they still even making any concept music videos or are they just mostly choreography these days? Big fan of music in film I guess - love a good soundtrack.

• Members

Because of the internet and pirating, I don't think allot of bands want to invest in making videos any more. If they do, they can put it on their own websites. There was virtually no internet in the 80's when MTV took off and it died when the internet and You Tube took off.

Today you can find just about any bands videos on You Tube just by Goggling. Plus MTV has to pay bands for playing their videos and since most kids would rather watch their bands on their tablets or IPhones, its no longer profitable for that company to provide something that no longer has an audience for its product.

• Members

The VMA's have always been the crude music award show, going back to 1984 with Madonna humping the floor on Like a Virgin. I still record the show and zip through it with my wife to see what nutty disgusting crap they're going to do. I think this year the music was the most forgettable ever. It's been about a week and I don't think I can recall any of it.

One thing I noticed is that there were fewer I V Vi V songs this year. Though now a lot of songs don't have a bridge or chorus. They just use the same two or three root notes all the way through and just change the melody for the chorus, it seems bridge parts are out of fashion.

Archived