Identify effects used in this guitar solo?

skycanyon

• Members

I've heard this sound used by different guitarist over the years, but don't know how it's done. It's not the sustain or reverb I'm noticing, rather some kind of tone shaping that I sometimes call gurgling inside a pipe. There are more extreme examples but I just happened to have this Ernie Isley link. Starts about 8 seconds in ...

• Members

Yeah that Pink Floyd clip is good subtle use.

I've compared the flanger and phaser samples and there's some similarity to my ear. But they have the same problem--more noticeable with the flanger--in that the rate or sweep effect can be annoying. Ideally these boxes would let you pick a particular sweet spot in the rate/sweep and just stay there a while!

• Members

to me there is some dirt (soft use of a fuzz or an overdrive) into a flanger (could be an mxr flanger or an ehx electric mistress but on the subtle side with less regen) into a delay where the mix knob is very low so you almost do not hear the single repeats and at the end some reverb

the key is the dirt flanger combination, flanger alone will sound too sterile, compare with police "message in a bottle", thats what flangers do on clean sounds.

the pink floyd example shows what the subtle use of a big muff pedal with a flanger can do, do not use too much gain and not too much volume, adjust the highs to match the wanted tone and add a delay... voila

• Members

I remember "Who's That Lady?" when it came out. At the time, I was able to get close with a fuzz pedal into a phase shifter.

[video=youtube;f3Kf1Iy5E6U]

The track in the OP, which came out ten or so years later, sounds similar but with a flanger instead of a phase shifter.

• Members
I remember "Who's That Lady?" when it came out. At the time, I was able to get close with a fuzz pedal into a phase shifter.

[video=youtube;f3Kf1Iy5E6U]

The track in the OP, which came out ten or so years later, sounds similar but with a flanger instead of a phase shifter.

yep thats definitely a phaser, OP video and this are a great example whats the difference between phaser and flanger is, although technically they are pretty similar

Archived