How come A7 substitutes for G well in this song?

Kid Charlemagne

• Members

Always wanted to learn a classic cowboy song so I chose Git Along Little Dogies. Here is the chord chart:

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/cowboy/git-along-dogies-6889.html

But in this video it sounds like the guy is substituting an A7 for the G.

I think this sounds better but can't figure out why. They only have the G note in common but the song doesn't sound completely different with the A7 sub. Any help on why?

• Members

There are many different choices for harmonizing a melody (chord progression). In most cases, I IV and V7 will provide a basic harmony that will fit the melody but there are more interesting and complex choices that will work too.

"I think this sounds better but can't figure out why."

​I don't think the why is as important as the fact that you think it sounds better. There are many books and online information about chord progressions available.

​The word "substitution" is often used in jazz and a common substitution is used with Dominant chords who's root is a tri-tone away from the written chord. A common example would be a blues turnaround in G. |G7 - E7 - A7 - D7 |G7 could be played as |G7 - Bb7 - A7 -Ab7 |G7 . Bb7 is a substitute for the E7 (note that both chords contain the notes D and G#(Ab). Ab7 is a substitute for D7 and both chords contain the notes C and F#(Gb).

​A tri-tone is an interval of three whole steps and is the only symmetrical interval. In other words, C to F# is a tri-tone and the inversion F# to C is also tri-tone.

• Members

Yes. Also the tab is in D and the the track is closer to C. Apples and oranges without Nashville or function numbers.

A7 and G are the respective V functions if that's what you were referring to.

Yea I had to finagle the tuning but when I got them synced, the first G chord (..morning for pleasure) sounds like an A7. I get that it doesn't matter if it makes musical sense as long as it sounds good, I'm just wondering if their is some sensical theoretical reason that I don't know. Relative superminor, Dominant Tonic Cousin. You know what i mean.:)

Archived