Byrd Super Avianti guitar and other V-shaped models

Jiri Dolezal

• Members

Hi, I`m a curious guy and I`d like to know your experience with either the guitar in the title (and on the picture) or other similar models, basically any V-shaped type of guitars. I used to own a Gibson Flying V Faded and I can say that it was excellent. It can be only played in a classical (Segovia) sitting position, but I play like this anyway. Your thoughts, comments?

4304aa9532ad0ac8ba22eafad2e4b559.jpg.691592d57e3431733f6bfe5dae2e9982.jpg

• Members

Personally, I think V's are the stupidest design ever conceived. (With Gibson's Reverse V taking the award for the Ultimate stupidest.) That being said however, I do own a V-ish guitar, the Ibanez RVX-220. I call it the can opener. Basically bought it for the pickups,(only paid 50 for the guitar) INF3 and INF4, thru in another set I had lying around, and actually kinda dig it for blues. Sitting, I use a strap with it, with the edge against my leg..

• Members

What bothers me about Gibson Flying Vs and Explorers is that Gibson makes an impression that Korina tonewood is extremely rare and expensive, which is not true. What I like about Vs how easy is to access higher positions. If I`m correct Slash recorded a few of his notable solos (Paradise City and more) with a V shaped guitar, presumably a Gibson. Even those mahogany Vs sound good. I would like to know more about Michael Schenker`s Dean signature model. All I know about it is that it has high output passive pickups. Again, good sound and playability.

Archived