To sell, or not to sell... that is the question...

steve_man

• Members

I've never been one to keep gear around that does not get much playing time. If I don't play it, or use it, I normally sell it either to pay for new gear, or just to clear out space at the house.

I bought a new American P-Bass last month, and my old MIM P-Bass hasn't left the case once. It's a good bass, but I doubt I'll be playing it much. Normally, this would not be much of a thought process... it would be on Craiglst already. However, I'm a bit torn, albeit for sentimental reasons. I bought this when I was in my first band in college. I've played it for nearly 20 years, and it has served me well. It wasn't a gift from anyone, but I'm wondering if I'll regret getting rid of it down the line...

Any of you guys have this issue?

• Members

I usually have no issue letting gear go, but I get what you're talking about. I have 2 guitars I rarely if ever play (old Yammie acoustic & an Ibanez Artcore). The acoustic was my first guitar so it's not going anywhere & the Ibanez was a gift, so I don't want to sell that either. Neither are worth much & don't take up too much space so it's not a biggie.

I'd say hang onto it if you're hesitant. It's not like you would get that much for it anyway...

• Members

how much would you get for a 20+ year old MIM fender P-Bass? $100? would it be even that much?

buy a wall hanger and hang it on the wall for decoration, it has for you much more sentimental value than the couple of beers you could with the money from it

I've never been one to keep gear around that does not get much playing time. If I don't play it, or use it, I normally sell it either to pay for new gear, or just to clear out space at the house.

I bought a new American P-Bass last month, and my old MIM P-Bass hasn't left the case once. It's a good bass, but I doubt I'll be playing it much. Normally, this would not be much of a thought process... it would be on Craiglst already. However, I'm a bit torn, albeit for sentimental reasons. I bought this when I was in my first band in college. I've played it for nearly 20 years, and it has served me well. It wasn't a gift from anyone, but I'm wondering if I'll regret getting rid of it down the line...

Any of you guys have this issue?

If it's one of your earliest instruments and you have a long history with it, I'd recommend hanging on to it for a while and thinking it over very carefully before deciding to sell it. At some point in the future, for sentimental reasons, etc. you might regret selling it.

As Mr Temporary said, it never hurts to have a back-up instrument on-stage.

PS Congrats on the new P-Bass! :cool2:

• Members
how much would you get for a 20+ year old MIM fender P-Bass? $100? would it be even that much? . . .

Based on the local CraigsList, Mexi P-Basses are going for $300 or so. On eBay sold listings, $100+ for just the neck, $150-400 for the bass, probably less than top dollar for an older bass. Whether it's worth it to the OP is up to him but the backup idea has merit.

• Members

If you want my opinion on selling gear you only have to look in my music room closet. I still have the first guitar I ever bought, and the second, and the third.... And the first one I ever built, and the second and...

Would it be a candidate for converting to fretless? I'm doing a fretless J-bass for a friend right now - pretty straight forward

• Members

I have a long history of trading and selling my guitars, but it's usually when I'm depressed and do stupid sh^t. However, a lot of my gear that I love came from trading. I only regret trading one guitar, and that's my CP Jazzmaster.

Unless you see something you want to trade it for, keep it. It's not hurting anything sitting in the case otherwise. Put it in the closet, forget about it, and rediscover it later.

• Members

I sold the first electric guitar I had, a 1979 Gibson Les Paul "The Paul" back in 1982. I've been searching the web for it ever since Al Gore invented the internet.

The first guitar I bought, was a 1982 Ibanez Roadstar RS 1000. I played that guitar through a Peavey Special amp. I still have the Roadstar, and have looked online and thought about selling, but it's got too many memories to part with. I have several other guitars to play, and many sit in the cases. But, when I take out a guitar I have not played in a while, it's a good feeling.

Now, that being said, I had an old OLP MM1, that I toyed with.. changed the pickups, tuners, etc. Had it for about 8 years. I'll never gig with it, and it was taking space. Put it on Craigslist, and nothing. Was $125 too high for a very nice OLP MM1 & gig bag? It sat on CL for 4 months, without one email about it. So, I called a couple music shops and they offered $25-$50 for it. Hell, if I'm going to give it away, I'd give it to someone I know.

That's where this whole post leads. We played a fund raiser for my son's middle school. I had a gift certificate for guitar lessons that was donated by a local shop. When I delivered it to the event chairman( a neighborhood friend), he mentioned to me he was going to bid on the lessons because his son(Justin) was learning to play guitar. He showed me his crappy strat copy that wouldn't stay in tune, fret buzzing louder than a bumblebee, and this awful "gorilla" amp. Light bulb went on... I told my neighbor to bring his son over to my house and I'd give him a guitar and amp that he could have.

They came over right after school that day, and I had the OLP, gig bag, cable, and the Peavey Special amp waiting. Justin's eyes just about fell on the floor. I fired it up and showed him how to dial it in. He told his Dad, I don't think I can afford this. That's when I told him, I was giving it to him. My only request, was if he decides that he's not interested in playing anymore, that he would pass it on to someone else and not sell it. It's been about 8 months, and Justin and some of his high school friends have started a band. I recently gave them some old kustom monitors I had, too.

So, you can sell your Bass, keep it, or maybe someday find someone that you can gift it to, but you have options.

• Members
Keep it' date=' and rebuild it. Add new pickups, maybe a D-turner or 2, defret it.... or keep iot stock as a backup. it has more sentimental value anyway.[/quote']

Well, I already modded it years ago. I had a set of Baseline active pickups put in it, and changed the pick guard, pots, etc. Bass sounds great, but it's just not gonna get played.

530858301daed8fea5be1dd52f6d4006.thumb.jpg.4d0d029259d4dbe2b18812e71fbbd4ea.jpg

• Members

I don't know. None of the guitar players I know are currently working in the music business. I suppose age has something to do with it, or perhaps musical sensibilities (not much market for classic rock and blues around here). Most have gigged at one time or another although the best picker I know never has. We jam from time to time but our friendship goes beyond that. In any event, most are like me in that they own more gear than they will ever use in any commercial or performance capacity. One of my best friends is a very good drummer, we jam occasionally but spend more time on the tennis court.

So the question is why do I hang onto ten electrics, three tube amps, two acoustics and a bass? (My collection of gear is actually tame compared to a few of my amigos.) For me, it has to do with the time I spent collecting and then in some cases modding my gear to be custom fitted so to speak. I've weeded out all the bad apples and consider all of what I have to be top shelf. They all have their own unique voice and speak to me in different ways, and rotating guitars and amps saves money on maintenance (particularly refrets). So that's my rationalization. Actually, the only reason I've ever sold is if something annoyed me, and now I'm left with the keepers. Why sell something you love to play?

PS Apologize in advance for the rant.

• Members
Well' date=' I loved to play it before I bought my new one... which is a "keeper" for sure. I'm really leaning towards selling it. Could use the money for something else.[/quote']

If that 60th plays half as good as it looks sell the mim.

• Members

Must admit that being primarily a regular guitar player, I don't get that passionate about collecting bass guitars. I am taking steps to improve my bass chops, but I know I'll never need more than one bass for what I do. And hey, you never pop strings on a bass so I suppose you're right to not see the need for a back up. You've got a Porche now, why keep the Yugo - I get it.

Archived