Switching guitars

Tomm Williams

• Members

I have one electric and one halfway decent electric so no, I don't switch. I play in worship and I decide in advance which guitar, electric or acoustic, will be the best choice based on what we're playing, then I bring that guitar and just that guitar. But I'm probably not representative. I have to admit, though, that given the resources, I'd have an electric and a couple of acoustics in different tunings.

• Members

I've always liked playing several different guitars. Different songs to me...have different personalities. I might have different tunings, throw in the acoustic. Keeps things interesting. You should always...AT LEAST...have a backup.

So no wireless for me! I know they're making them plug-in jack kinda things nowadays...but just something I didn't wanna mess with along with everything else.

• Members

I used to switch between my go to ax, a Schecter Strat, and my Epiphone Sorento hollow body with P90's. I was in a band that played a lot of Beetles and other early 60's rock and the Epi was great for that, especially when paired with our other guitarists Ric 12 string.

I also like to use my acoustics, Guild 6 and 12 strings on some songs but I play mostly lead in the bands I am in right now so I don't get much opportunity to strum my acoustics. It also depends on space for me; in place where the band is squished together I am only gonna bring one guitar, maybe have a backup stashed somewhere just in case..

• Members

I usually bring one 6 string with me when I play out (Epi ES-339), but depending on the setlist we're doing I will occasionally bring my dano 12 string along. I also play mando in my band for about 25% of our set. We try & group the mando & 12 string songs together so i'm not constantly changing instruments...

• Members

I usually bring at least one backup in case a string breaks. (rarely if ever happens but I'm prepared) If its a worthwhile gig I may bring up to three and switch between sets. I usually do that when I'm undecided on what I want to play. Besides my guitar rig I'm usually hauling a full PA so I try and avoid hauling too much gear. Comes time to break down, its better to have less to prevent some bottom feeder to walk off with a guitar when packing things up.

• Members

When I'm performing live, I don't generally switch guitars - although in the group I'm playing in now I alternate between my Strat and keyboard synth. But I bring a backup guitar in case I break a string or have a technical issue. However, in the studio I'll use a number of my guitars, depending on what is called for.

• Members

I usually take three guitars to a gig. Two tuned to standard pitch and one down a half step. I'll use both of the standard tuning guitars early and let the situation dictate which will be the main and which will be the backup for the show.

Some songs work better on certain guitars so I may specifically select for the song but, for the most part, it is the way the gig is moving along that determines which guitar and whether I use a pick or just play with my fingers.

The guitars I regularly choose from are a couple of strats, a Les Paul and two teles. Right now, one of the teles has slightly heavier strings on it and is tuned down. I also sometimes play an ES335 or ES137 live but mostly use solids for live work (especially if it is going to be loud.)

• Members

When I played out with full band, I bought 2 guitars with me. A Tele and a Strat. Those 2 guitars covered pretty much all my needs.

At home when I record I have many instruments to choose from and look at it as different tools for different jobs.

Less is more imo, and it's less gear to end up damaged or even worse missing. Plus less to load up after the show is over at 2 am.

Archived