New pickups in a telecaster

TimothyZelinski

• Members

I'm going to get a telecaster for my next guitar, but I know that I'm going to want to change the pickup settings once I get it, since this is how most of the tele players I like have done this. Ted Greene, Tim Lerch (I think Ed Bickert changed his pickups but I'm not sure). What are some common pickup configurations you've seen/heard? I recently played a HSS Tele with a 5-way switch I really liked, but I'd like to get some opinions before I go for it.

• Members

My opinion is, get the Telecaster and play it.After getting to know what it is you may not need to change.pickups.

The amp you use will have a huge impact on the sound of the guitar. Experiment with different settings.

If you want HSS and a 5-way switch buy a hard tail Strat and save yourself alot of work.

• Members

I'd suggest you play a number of Telecasters in various configurations--through the amp you intend to use or the closest thing available--and see what works for you. gardo is right about the HSS with a 5-way switch part though; if you get far enough away from the basic design you won't have a Telecaster any more.

• Members

Don't change the pickups, until you KNOW you want new ones. You may love them, who knows. And adding a 5way, and a humbucker, it's no longer a tele. A tele is simplicity. YOU mak it sound special by your hands, not by the different pickups and the like.

Archived