Rehearsal amp suggestions

Tomm Williams

• Members

I'm in need of something smaller/lighter than either my AC15c1 or HR3 for rehearsals. 15 watts is probably overkill as we rehearse quite low. What it does need is 3 channels clean-dirty-boost and be footswitchable. I don't want to use my pedal board or even one pedal, I want the amp to have the features I need. It does not need great tone for this application.

suggestions?

• Members

I don't think you're going to find many if any small amps with any channel switching, no less 3 channels. You normally find that stuff on higher wattage amps. There are some with built in effects and modeling. Maybe you can set up your clean dirty and boost as presets then just switch between them (plus plenty more).

I looked at the Line 6 spider micro which is 6 watts. Its got the amp gains you want but it doesn't look like they're foot switchable.

The Fender Mustang might work. Its 20 watts with an 8" speaker. The foot switch only allows two presets to be selected. You'd have to read the manual in depth to see if those two channels can be swapped out easily. Realistically, you only need two channels for most songs. Trick is to keep your volume down a bit while setting up those presets and then you can switch from clean to driven and just turn your guitars volume knob up for leads.

The Roland CUBE Street EX has like 4 channels but again they're not foot switchable. Maybe you can use a Y jack to feed both channels then use the foot switch to switch between one and the other set for different gains.

The Blackstar Core Stereo 10 allows two channel switching based on the last channel you had selected. This may work out fairly well if you only need two sounds during a song. It backs up to the last preset you used, then toggels between the two.

If you had clean dialed up, the selected a crunch tone, the switch will swap between those two. If you then , left the switch set for crunch and selected a lead tone, the pedal would swap between the crunch and the lead.

This is again a work around. You want actual 3 channels you don't find that stuff on small practice gear. They figure with a small amp you can just reach over and switch things. Channel switching is more for playing out live where you may be front stage and your amp back stage.

• Members

Mustang I would be a good solution and would let you dial in each preset to your liking, but you need to be able to live with only 2 selections form the footswitch. reassigning the footswitch to 2 different presets (out of 24 programmable presets) is easy, but itw1ould get old to have to do between each song.

I think it would be easier to walk to the amp and switch the preset selector.

The Mustang III comes with a 2 button selector which would work for you, but it starts getting heavier.

• Members
Mustang I would be a good solution and would let you dial in each preset to your liking, but you need to be able to live with only 2 selections form the footswitch. reassigning the footswitch to 2 different presets (out of 24 programmable presets) is easy, but itw1ould get old to have to do between each song.

I think it would be easier to walk to the amp and switch the preset selector.

The Mustang III comes with a 2 button selector which would work for you, but it starts getting heavier.

Good suggestion, I keep a Mustang 1 on my desk next to the monitor.The amp is great at low volume I deleted one bank of presets and put on what I like to use so it's right there for me . Yes you,re limited to 2 channels with the footswitch but just a slight turn of the preset knob gives me my favorite 8 plus 16 more. Setting any 2 channels on the footswitch is simple. Best to get V2 instead of the older V1 unless you find a good deal on a used one like I did

• Members

How about a six watter? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vht-special-6-6w-1x10-hand-wired-tube-guitar-combo-amp

My buddy used his VHT Special 6 at our last jam and it was plenty loud enough to play with a drummer. These babies are hand wired with one preamp tube and one power tube, seem really solid and sound amazing for $250. Has a footswitchable boost.

• Members

I found an excellent condition Line6 Spider II with the 4 button foot switch shipped for $95.00 !! This did take me a bit away from my original specs but it appeared I was not going to find an amp like that. This one is the 30 watt version with 1-12" but only weighs around 30 lbs so it should work for what I need.

• Members
I found an excellent condition Line6 Spider II with the 4 button foot switch shipped for $95.00 !! . . . it should work for what I need.

Congratulations. Happy (Pending) New Amp Day. Let us know how you like it and post a few pics.

Archived