Choosing Guitar for Post-Rock Project

enigma1995

• Members

Looking for an affordable guitar, so maybe i can change the pickups. i have kind of money problem for gibson sg or lp standards. searched and found a few models of Epiphone Les Paul. The question is whether they are good stuff or not. starts from 400$ to 800$. I'll Mention the links so you can tell which one is better? Considering the genre im into, are they good choice or not? any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus Electric Guitar Midnight Sapphire | Musician's Friend

Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Traditional PRO Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Classic PRO Electric Guitar Ebony | Musician's Friend

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop PRO - Heritage Cherry SB | Sweetwater.com

• Members

Go back in and edit your post, use the text tool, and color your words black. You have an ultra light gray there I doubt anyone can read. I can barely see it, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue what you were posting about.

Any of those Pauls will sound OK. The stock pickups aren't that bad either. They are potted and will get you a Gibson type tone.

If you have it for a period of time and have exhausted the tonal possibilities you'll at least have a basis in making decisions when doing an upgrade. Its impossible to know where you want to go if you don't know where you're at to begin with.

Gibson doesn't put the best pickups in the Epiphone line, but its likely the best choice of budget pickups. Anything in their price range will simply be a parallel move, not vertical. If you love the instrument and want to spend an additional $200 for a set of Gibson PAF's, then go for it, but also consider what you could buy for $500 instead of spending $300 on something and dropping an additional $200 to mod it up.

There are many fine used guitars out there too. you got to have the cash available to spring on one at a good price, but you can buy a whole lot more guitar used and get that same money back on in if you don't like it or want something else. With something new, you loose at least $100~200 the day you buy it and you'll never get it back.

• Members

Any guitar will do ... if you don't care about the tonal qualities. Not being snide - but there's a world of difference between humbucker and single coil sounds. Having been friends with the guys in Pell Mell and Tortoise, whom I consider two of the progenitors of post-rock (along with Slint and .... ok, enough), they were extremely partial to single coils.

It would help if the OP could describe the goal either via tone comparison (e.g. I want Pajo's sound on Spiderland or ???) or a descriptor. It's like saying "I want a guitar for metal." Super strat for shredding? Les Paul for Slash-y stuff?

The advice to buy used is always good advice.

• Members
Any guitar will do ... if you don't care about the tonal qualities. Not being snide - but there's a world of difference between humbucker and single coil sounds.

I was responding to the lack of context in OP's post. I mean, if he asked this question Ultimate Guitar, they'd be all up in his business making amp recommendations and telling him to stay away from Epiphone. I don't even know if the OP plays guitar, or if he's just one of the mods trying to drum up posts.

• Members

I was responding to the lack of context in OP's post. I mean, if he asked this question Ultimate Guitar, they'd be all up in his business making amp recommendations and telling him to stay away from Epiphone. I don't even know if the OP plays guitar, or if he's just one of the mods trying to drum up posts.

I too am very suspicious of these first post open questions, never to be heard of again.

The tribute plus has Gibson USA '57 Classic humbucking pickups (4-wire)

The custom classic pro has Gibson USA 490R and 498T open-coil pickups.

The Tribute Plus would probably be my choice from the models listed in the OP. Looks like a very nice guitar, and I really like the sound of the Gibson '57 Classic pickups, so there wouldn't even be the need for a pickup swap. :cool2:

Archived