Strat vs Tele

gardo

• Members

Can I ask a strange question? Are you using the tele for playing or for writing?

I can see some rationale for using a more basic guitar for composition because everything that comes out of a strat is flavored and it can be good to compose songs in vanilla

• Members
Can I ask a strange question? Are you using the tele for playing or for writing?

I can see some rationale for using a more basic guitar for composition because everything that comes out of a strat is flavored and it can be good to compose songs in vanilla

Casual playing / noodeling. The flavoing of the Strat does inspire me but so so does the Tele vanilly

• Members

My main stage guitars are Les Paul, Tele and Strat but for a long time it was just Strat and 335.

Compared to the Gibson, the Strat always needed help. When it got the help (boost) it was really big and fat but with clarity. The Gibsons, especially the Les Paul, was always fat and sometimes lacked the clarity of the Strat.

For me, the Telecaster fits nicely with either the LP or the Strat and is a great "in between" guitar. There is a certain snappiness in there that sets it apart from other guitars and it can be used to give more twang to the country music and a real punch to blues and rock.

I have two Teles and two Strats - I respect them all equally for what they bring to the music.

• Members
My main stage guitars are Les Paul, Tele and Strat but for a long time it was just Strat and 335.

Compared to the Gibson, the Strat always needed help. When it got the help (boost) it was really big and fat but with clarity. The Gibsons, especially the Les Paul, was always fat and sometimes lacked the clarity of the Strat.

For me, the Telecaster fits nicely with either the LP or the Strat and is a great "in between" guitar. There is a certain snappiness in there that sets it apart from other guitars and it can be used to give more twang to the country music and a real punch to blues and rock.

I have two Teles and two Strats - I respect them all equally for what they bring to the music.

Tell me more about boost. I don't like high gain but boost is different. The Strat is already louder and deeper sounding than the Tele..I set the eq's on by amp baisclly to the max.iis this somewhat a boost. ? The amp I'm using right now is a Fender Princeton Cnorus (solid state) and I barely get the volume over 2 at home

• Members

Can you elaborate on this flavouring? Not sure I get this.

• Members

Tell me more about boost. I don't like high gain but boost is different. The Strat is already louder and deeper sounding than the Tele..I set the eq's on by amp baisclly to the max.iis this somewhat a boost. ? The amp I'm using right now is a Fender Princeton Cnorus (solid state) and I barely get the volume over 2 at home

In the mid '70s, I had a Master Volume Twin Reverb. A Les Paul would drive the amp into a nice creamy distortion but I couldn't quite get there with a Strat. I ended up using an Ibanez Analog Delay with separate input and output level controls to boost the signal from the Strat up to the same level as the Les Paul.

Personally, I find a telecaster has more output than a stratocaster and the strat pickups have a more even response.

• Members

I've been through three Teles and just couldn't find the one I guess. Strats on the other hand, have come and never leave. I have three now with another Aria Pro II Bobcat that is technically a Strat as well (little different body shape). I've found that I can switch back and forth between LP and Strat type guitars with little or no adjustment, but a Tele takes a bit of adjustment as the neck feels a bit further out. Also, I discovered that the thing I liked most about Teles, (twang) was something I could get just as well from a couple of my Strats (like Tele's, some are twangier than others). And of course, Strats are just so comfortable to play.

• Members

Can you elaborate on this flavouring? Not sure I get this.

Okay, when I sit down to write rather than "noodle" I tend to use an acoustic or basic single pickup guitar because the strat has so many tone options it is easy to get drawn into writing around the textures. This is wrong because (hopefully) your song is going to be performed on a lot of different instruments so you can't write it around, say, the tone of position 4 on a strat.

If you listen to good songwriting, Bread are a good example, you can tell the stuff was crafted around the chords not the guitar tone. The tone certainly comes into the record production process but the songs can be played fine by uncle John picking up an acoustic at Christmas.

The opposite type of writing is people like Vai who produce, not so much "songs" as tone poems(?) that require a specific electric combination and are definitely not transferable to a guy in a bar with an acoustic.

Basically we are talking song-centric writing vs guitar-centric writing.

Here is a nice example of simple composition, although they are actually playing electric you could play it on any guitar.

[video=youtube_share;K4R93xnKink]

• Members

Okay, when I sit down to write rather than "noodle" I tend to use an acoustic or basic single pickup guitar because the strat has so many tone options it is easy to get drawn into writing around the textures. This is wrong because (hopefully) your song is going to be performed on a lot of different instruments so you can't write it around, say, the tone of position 4 on a strat.

If you listen to good songwriting, Bread are a good example, you can tell the stuff was crafted around the chords not the guitar tone. The tone certainly comes into the record production process but the songs can be played fine by uncle John picking up an acoustic at Christmas.

The opposite type of writing is people like Vai who produce, not so much "songs" as tone poems(?) that require a specific electric combination and are definitely not transferable to a guy in a bar with an acoustic.

Basically we are talking song-centric writing vs guitar-centric writing.

Here is a nice example of simple composition, although they are actually playing electric you could play it on any guitar.

[video=youtube_share;K4R93xnKink]

Ok thanks I see what you mean. I would have thought a clean setting would give the same result, but im not a writer so know jack really.

Thanks for the explanation.

• Members

^^^^ Great post. Of course, everyone has different writing styles, sometimes more than one. I understand exactly what you were posting about, but find that my best writing efforts come from sounds that form in my head, and then need to find a way to the surface via a guitar and etc.

Nothing wrong with a great riff, but unless you're doing an instrumental, it needs to find a home.

When I worked with developing artists, one thing I tried to emphasize was that popularity was hugely related to the vocal performance, in terms of potential sales / airplay. Note I'm not saying that's right, it's just that most people don't listen for only guitar - they appreciate great guitar in addition to a great vocal.

• Members

When writing I go to one of my soundproof studios. I then put on my sensory deprivation kit - noise cancellers, nose plugs and dark goggles in a darkened room. This allows me to focus properly, unfortunately it does not help me find the guitar. So I have never actually got to write anything yet. I am however sure the theory is sound.

• Members

Personally, I find a telecaster has more output than a stratocaster and the strat pickups have a more even response.

My Strat is louder but the Tele is not a true single coil guitar,I use noiseless pickups maybe that has something to do with it?

Archived