What guitars have you owned for the longest period of time?

thatsbunk

• Members

Not necessarily the oldest, but the ones you've had for the longest period of time. For me it's this Yamaha (FG-110) I've owned since 1975. Not a great guitar but it was my first & have no intentions on getting rid of it for sentimental purposes...

P7083219.jpg

As far as electrics go, I'm much more of a whore. I tend to buy/sell electrics at a much higher rate. Of the 7 electrics I currently own this Ibanez AF-75 has been with me the longest (about 11 years). Not the greatest guitar in the world either but it has escaped my urge to sell because it was a gift...

1bce6284-82ae-4872-8bfe-6999d7e411cb_zpsgmge6r5l.jpg

What's been with you folks the longest?

• Members

I got rid of all the old guitars. Of the current bunch the one I've had the longest is an upgraded Squier Affinity Tele that Ive had for 5 or 6 years

fetch?id=31549234

Overall the longest was this Epiphone that I had for about 25 years

fetch?id=31555520

• Members

my washburn wd10 acoustic bought new in '91 or '92. it was my first "real" guitar after i started playing with a less than $100 classical guitar one year earlier...

my oldest possession of an electric is an epi lp custom which got no play time at all after i bought a '75 gibson les paul custom in 2005

on one hand i haven't sold any guitar related gear ever, on the other hand it is hard to sell a lefty epi guitar anyhow

normally it would be my CIJ '68 reissue strat, which i bought around 2000 or so, but this one was stolen and after i never was happy with the MIA std replacement i got lucky on ebay and someone sold me the exact same model/color CIJ 68 reissue guitar i had before for a very reasonable price. which is my main guitar ever since

• Members

My first guitar, a no-name Montgomery Ward $19.95 acoustic, bought in 1970. Next runner up is a Sakura S-12-9 12-string acoustic, bought in Summer, 1974. On the electric side, my Schecter Gryphon, bought in late March of this year.

• Members
Not necessarily the oldest, but the ones you've had for the longest period of time. For me it's this Yamaha (FG-110) I've owned since 1975. Not a great guitar but it was my first & have no intentions on getting rid of it for sentimental purposes...

I'll see your Yamie and raise you. I bought my FG-150 new in 1969

Yamaha1970.jpg

Still have it, still play it. Nothing has changed...

IMG_0489.jpg

(the Dobro in the back of second picture is a 1932, my oldest guitar)

I've got a Strat that I bought used in the mid 80s that I still have. One of my kids has an old P-Bass I bought new sometime around that same era.

My '94 Taylor 510 was a wedding present from my wife - that one's a keeper too. In fact, that's right around the time when I quit buying and selling guitars and started buying and hoarding... ;)

• Members

Of the guitars I still have left, the longest running is a Yamaha G-100A (Nippon Gakki Co Ltd) classical purchased in 1977.

I still have a first run JV Strat (MIJ) that I bought in 1982.

The oldest guitar I have, other than an old National Lap Steel, is a '68 "pencil neck" ES335TD that I picked up in 1988.

• Members

I am too much of a buyer/seller/trader, ie: guitar whore, to keep things forever. the ones I do have, that will more than likely be buried with me are:

79 Epiphone Genesis, bought in 2006 as a wedding gift from my wife.

07 Gary Kramer Stimulator, an anniversary gift from wife, bought brand new. The first new guitar I had.

79ish Manoman Paul. bought in 07 I think, and just my perfect go to guitar.

a292acd48bc83eee4dc39473b73561f0.thumb.JPG.89678d8363dfa907215afd1774d278ef.JPG

4dd0a6763fbe72376c33dd5afbb2d7b4.thumb.JPG.31a04fbc8fc4522974380e56f449a14c.JPG

b02b2ec37de4df9bacbd08c53f0dcda6.thumb.JPG.4417d4fdd9e7ba491282d2846e3c0f7b.JPG

• Members

Well I mostly buy used and only, only sell a guitar if I can't bond with it. I consider the ten electrics, two acoustics and one bass that I currently own to be keepers. That being said, I believe that my Hamer USA electrics are the longest with me - 93 HB Special about ten years and the 98 Mirage II about 9 years. I had read about how good they were and at that time they were still to be had for bargain prices. I doubt I'll ever let either one go.

• Members

These are the two guitars I mentioned in my post earlier.

DSCN8699_zpsopndin0y.jpg

What's cool about the Rickenbacker is that it opened doors creatively because it's almost a totally different instrument.

SG%201_zps5rhurijo.jpg

I miss the old SG, but not the guitar it became. What's unfortunate about the low end Gibsons is that their Epiphone counterparts, like the G-400 Faded (I own one), kick their butts. Putting new frets in it would've almost cost as much as a used one, and the neck felt like it would snap after years of sweat and running scales for hours after school.

• Members

I love the Ric too... Almost pulled the trigger on the same guitar in Mapleglow, but an unexpected car repair stopped me. I bought a Dano 12 string instead due to budgetary restrictions. Good for when I feel the need to be jangly...

Archived