Opinions on this color, please

Freeman Keller

• Members

I'm shooting the color coats on a build right now and am trying to decide when to stop. My customer wants a rich red, in his words "the finish has to be cherry red, but in a see-through way so the wood grain is visible, if the grain could be enhanced so it is darker and shine stronger through, it would be perfect". I've been working from a recipe for a '67 cherry ES335 and think it is close. If I continue to darken the red some of the grain will be lost.

Obvious problems here are the lighting and camera so I've included several different shots. Outside in the shade

IMG_2678_zpscofdhl7s.jpg

outside in full sun

IMG_2679_zpszij1uxi8.jpg

on my workbench under fluorescent lights

IMG_2683_zpscrtcn9wd.jpg

and one more on the workbench, this time with my cell phone camera - notice how much bluer the background is

IMG_20150809_144856_053_zpszj6wgifu.jpg

I can shoot another coat or two of the red which will make it darker but will also slightly obscure the figure in the wood. Once I stop with the red and start clear coating that will be the color that we end up with.

For those of you following the build I'll post a little more detail on how we got here but for now I need to make a decision on how to proceed.

• Members

Thanks all. When I looked closely at it there was a little bit of orange peel in the surface and I had a little bit of the red still mixed so I hit it with 400 grit and shot one more well thinned coat of red. Then I pulled the tape so we're committed. There'll be more photos on the build thread when I can get some time to put them up.

Archived