Finally making a Mahogany Tele with Buckers, seeking advice...

billybilly

• Members

So, I bought the body below, which is one piece (4.2lbs) and plan to include the hipshot bridge with all black hardware, chrome buckers and will keep it natural other than a clear finish. I looking around at necks and am in two minds about a 24.75 or 25.5 scale. I can play both comfortably but am wondering how much tone will be lost trying to achieve a Les Paul tone with the longer scale?

The neck will be mahogany with rosewood board and SS frets. I'll be using a Burstbucker Pro and BG Bucker Dark, both with four conductors and splits, push/pull.

Thanks for any input, pics...

fetch?id=31553226fetch?id=31553228fetch?id=31553229

• Members
So' date=' I bought the body below, which is one piece (4.2lbs) and plan to include the hipshot bridge with all black hardware, chrome buckers and will keep it natural other than a clear finish. I looking around at necks and am in two minds about a 24.75 or 25.5 scale. I can play both comfortably [i']but am wondering how much tone will be lost trying to achieve a Les Paul tone with the longer scale? [/i]

The neck will be mahogany with rosewood board and SS frets.

I can't say how noticable the different scale length will be ,but also remember you're talking bolt on neck as opposed to a LP set neck . I would think this has to be a factor as well

Either way it will be a guitar I'll be interested in seeing.

• Members

That body is drilled for a 25.5 scale, if you try to put a short scale neck on it you will have to shift the body to neck joint to be somewhere other than the 16th fret - it will move down the neck towards the nut. That will slightly limit your access to upper frets I have heard that someone does make a short scale neck for Fenders - if you get one of those measure very carefully before you commit to it.

As you probably know, the adjustable pole piece on a LP is at the 24th fret position - that is the sweet spot for a neck pickup. Again, not sure where that will end up if you change scales.

You also are going to end up with Tele wiring - the switch, volume and tone circuits will be different than a Lester. Last, and far from least, the two guitars are different in so many other ways - body and neck materials, neck attachment, as well as scale length - how much do each of these contribute is debatable (and certainly gets debated here a lot)

As Gardo says, "it will be a guitar..."

• Members

Actually, they make conversion necks which accommodate scale length, warmoth and musikraft are who I would be buying from.

Ya, it won't be a Les Paul but I'm putting in same capacitors, etc... as a Les Paul. I guess we'll see, thanks for posting.

• Members

The "sweet spot" shifts as soon as you fret a string. As long as you can intonate the guitar properly you'll be fine. Warmoth and Musikraft both know what they're doing. Anyway, a Telecaster/Les Paul hybrid sounds interesting. Best of luck and keep us posted.

• Members

I was pretty sure that you intended to use one of those ready made bolt on short scale necks (rather than trying to modify a LP neck) and I was also sure you understood how the geometry works. I'd like to hear how one of those necks works if you do decide to go that way.

Looking forward to this, whatever you decide

Archived