who's had the longest running signature guitar in history?

mbengs1

• Members

i don't think its fair to consider the les paul a signature guitar because it's a standard in the industry. it's like the fender stratocaster. its one of the most popular guitars in history. i'd consider the les paul an industry standard rather than a signature series guitar.

• Members
i don't think its fair to consider the les paul a signature guitar because it's a standard in the industry. it's like the fender stratocaster. its one of the most popular guitars in history. i'd consider the les paul an industry standard rather than a signature series guitar.

So it's not fair that his signature model became so immensely popular that no one else will ever come near what he's accomplished ?

• Members

It's HIS signature on it, but if you really want to be anal, then the Les paul Custom. Better? Or if that doesn't float, then the Gretch Chet Atkins. Or the Gibson Chet Atkins. You also have the Trini Lopez from Gibson. I know you worship Vai, but he's NOT the first, or the longest.

• Members

And thinking about it, I don't think the JEM is a Vai signature guitar. I don't remember his name being on it on any of the production models, especially from 87. It may be his signature guitar, but I don't believe it's a signature guitar. Unlike the JS series, which was the Radius that they gave to Joe.

• Members
For reasons I explained above.

The Les Paul is NOT a signature model!!!

Jeez, Fender has his name on Strats They are not "Leo Fender signature" models either.

Nor is the Crown Victoria a Ford 'signature' model.

Leo Fender was the maker, that is why "Fender" aren't sigs; Gibson made the "Les Paul" as Les Paul's signature model of Gibson electric guitars designed to his specs. Just because it became so popular that they divided it up into other "sig" models does not mean it was not a signature model of Gibson to begin with.

• Members

Yes It is a DESIGNER model Not Signature model. Signature models are when an artist MODIFIES a design and the factory replicates those mods. So a "Slash" Signature Gibson Les Paul would be a signature model.

PS We could do this all day but we ain't gonna :)

• Members

It's amazing how this guy's threads always generate the dumbest arguments that go on for pages and pages.

Who cares? I've never owned a signature model, but Les Paul's name is indeed on my Epiphone Custom. Does that make it a signature guitar? I don't care. It's my guitar.

Archived