Semi-OT - what's everyone using for mobile listening these days?

Phil O'Keefe

Hey guys... I just finished a new article on how to select headsets for use with mobile devices... you can click the link to check it out if you want, but what I was wondering is what you're all using. Please tell me about what you use with your mobile device when you're using it to create, practice or just listen to music. Do you use ear buds, or headphones? Any particular favorite brand or model? What do you like - and dislike - about the headset(s) you use?

• Members

Pretty much the same as gardo. I listen to the factory radio in my car. Occasionally, I'll listen to the radio app on my (cheap, non-smart) phone through a pair of cheap Koss on-the-ear headphones. I hate earbuds with a passion.

• Members

Pretty much a car stereo listener here too. Plug in my i-phone or i-pod to the car stereo.

Our band recently got a Jam Hub Tour Bus silent rehearsal system (pretty cool product BTW) so I picked up these to use with it;

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4610582344989906908?lsf=seller:1327510,store:5445549322428440856&prds=oid:14091948503598590801&q=sennheiser+headphones+guitar+center&hl=en&ei=dn27VZftGIzT-QHhmrLgCQ

They seem ok for the $. I haven't tried them yet on the i-phone/i-pod yet though...

• Members

I used some Audio Technica headphones for everything, including walking around campus with my iPhone. They blend in well with all the other students and their Dre Beats.

What I wanted was an affordable, durable set of headphones with better sound quality than previous pairs. Each time I buy a new set, I like going up in quality, but since I carry them everywhere, I need something I can afford to replace if need be. I've used them for production/mastering, listening to music on my laptop, and blasting out everyone talking as I try to study. They have a noise suppressing function, but not for the people around me. They're noticeably loud, though no one has commented on it including the computer lab monitor.

The headphones have a crisp sound that I can't imagine getting better. I mean, there's always a way to get better sound, I suppose, but this is the best pair I've owned. AT makes great products for a good price. This is my first AT product and I'm considering getting one of their turntables soon. Depends on if I have a girlfriend or not. I have more money when I'm single, but I'm usually miserable single until I buy things. See how this evens out, Phil?

Most of the students on campus are using Apple earbuds or Beats. I got a lot of compliments for my gaudy gold headphones that looked like something Quincy Jones would wear, but the AT pair is pure black. So, I think people are going more for fashion over sound quality, but I can't say I care since more are going for the blue tooth headsets that probably sound like early 2000 era MP3s downloaded from a Russian site.

...I need sleep.

• Members
I used some Audio Technica headphones for everything, including walking around campus with my iPhone. They blend in well with all the other students and their Dre Beats.

What I wanted was an affordable, durable set of headphones with better sound quality than previous pairs. Each time I buy a new set, I like going up in quality, but since I carry them everywhere, I need something I can afford to replace if need be. I've used them for production/mastering, listening to music on my laptop, and blasting out everyone talking as I try to study. They have a noise suppressing function, but not for the people around me. They're noticeably loud, though no one has commented on it including the computer lab monitor.

The headphones have a crisp sound that I can't imagine getting better. I mean, there's always a way to get better sound, I suppose, but this is the best pair I've owned. AT makes great products for a good price. This is my first AT product and I'm considering getting one of their turntables soon. Depends on if I have a girlfriend or not. I have more money when I'm single, but I'm usually miserable single until I buy things. See how this evens out, Phil?

Most of the students on campus are using Apple earbuds or Beats. I got a lot of compliments for my gaudy gold headphones that looked like something Quincy Jones would wear, but the AT pair is pure black. So, I think people are going more for fashion over sound quality, but I can't say I care since more are going for the blue tooth headsets that probably sound like early 2000 era MP3s downloaded from a Russian site.

...I need sleep.

Beats by Dre are useful because they identify the gullible and shallow amongst us. I struggle to not make sheep noises when I see someone with those on.

Hopefully enough of us remain that choose phones based on the sound they deliver.

• Members

Earbuds for listening - usually Creative. I am ok with them but have two complaints about most earbuds: too flimsy, and often aren't loud enough. They're both too cheap, and yet too expensive given how crummy they are. If someone could put together a rock solid pair of good earbuds, I'd be willing to drop $25-30 on them (but no more - those 'audiophile' earbuds are laughable to me).

I use TASCAM 02's for working on projects. They're not that great, but they do have a flattish response curve. I think Dre Beats are ridiculous - recent articles have shown that they are low quality with very aggressive marketing. I feel badly that people are hoodwinked into buying them.

Having over-ear headphones was very important to me when I flew several times a week - the only way I could listen on planes without being one of those jerks whose earbuds are driving other passengers crazy.

• Members

All my music and audio books stuff is on my now retired Samsung S3 phone. I decided to use it as a mp3 player because the ones I had purchased before, for one reason or another, just didn't work out. I use the Bluetooth feature for my vehicle, home stereo, motorcycle radio and what not. I prefer over the ear headphones. I have the Sennheiser PX100 headphones and really like them. They are not expensive and sound awesome. This works for me

• Members

41TTT2FQ9QL.jpg

All of my older stuff is on this (Sony MZ-S1)and I love it. The quality is amazing with the standard sony 'phones. (illustrated)

I record minidisc with a Tascam MD-350 (semi-pro) which is also superb.

However these days the sheer convenience of recording to the MP3 player is leaving the minidisc betamaxed

I am contemplating something like Sennheiser HD 229 for the future not being especially rich smile.png

I will check your article

• Members

iPhone and Jaybird Bluebuds. Excellent sound quality IMHO. Bluetooth -- no wires. If they die, they'll send me a new pair for free. And, most importantly, I don't look like a tool because they're quite small and inconspicuous.

Archived