Reverb Tank Question ?

gardo

• Members

I have 3 very different amps with spring reverbs of different sizes. One thing they have in common is that a certain combination of frequency and volume produces a rattle. Any suggestions for a blanket or a bag or some type of insulation on the tank? Or maybe a completely different approach?

Are the tanks inside bags? If not, that can also help. Damping the springs won't work though - it will kill the reverb completely.

You can also try using even heavier and thicker rubber "shock mounts" between the tank and the cabinet... that can help lessen the mechanical coupling between the two, but that probably won't do anything to reduce sympathetic resonance / vibration from the speaker's acoustical output from causing the springs to resonate and vibrate if you play at really, really high volume levels.

• Members
Are the tanks inside bags? If not, that can also help. Damping the springs won't work though - it will kill the reverb completely.

You can also try using even heavier and thicker rubber "shock mounts" between the tank and the cabinet... that can help lessen the mechanical coupling between the two, but that probably won't do anything to reduce sympathetic resonance / vibration from the speaker's acoustical output from causing the springs to resonate and vibrate if you play at really, really high volume levels.

I never considered dampening the springs my original thought was to use some sort of bag but I'll take a look at the rubbber mounts first. My oldest amp is a '67 so the rubber may be completely gone my now.

• Members
I suggest you try using the silicone bags they use for breast augmentation. Works really well' date=' but every now you'll hear a contented "Sigh" coming from the tank.[/quote']

But won't that also give it a fake, pumped up sound?

• Members

You may want to check the springs in that old tank too. Normally they are fairly straight. When tanks get real old the springs can sag badly and even bottom out. When that happens its time for a new tank. They aren't that expensive either ranging from $20~45 depending on weather its a long or short tank.

Also check the rubber bumper at the center of the springs if it has one. These are often made of foam or rubber and can become deformed and touch the spring. They prevent the spring from banging around too much moving the amp. I've had to trim many of these with an Xacto knife or re-glue them in place depending on the age of the tank.

If you go for replacement, be sure you buy one that's the right impedance for your amp. Tanks can range from very low impedances of like 8 ohms in a tube amp to very high impedances of 10K in Solid State amps.

You can buy a tank bags cheap too. Probably look better then some rig. Found some here for about $15 but you can probably find others.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/

• Members
You may want to check the springs in that old tank too. Normally they are fairly straight. When tanks get real old the springs can sag badly and even bottom out. When that happens its time for a new tank. They aren't that expensive either ranging from $20~45 depending on weather its a long or short tank.

Also check the rubber bumper at the center of the springs if it has one. These are often made of foam or rubber and can become deformed and touch the spring. They prevent the spring from banging around too much moving the amp. I've had to trim many of these with an Xacto knife or re-glue them in place depending on the age of the tank.

If you go for replacement, be sure you buy one that's the right impedance for your amp. Tanks can range from very low impedances of like 8 ohms in a tube amp to very high impedances of 10K in Solid State amps.

You can buy a tank bags cheap too. Probably look better then some rig. Found some here for about $15 but you can probably find others.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/

Alot of things to look at. It was checked by a good tech about 2 years ago but things change so I'll pulit and have a look.

If I need a bag this is where I'll shop

Thanks

• Members

My Fender FM65R had a bad reverb tank when I bought it used. The tank wasn't in a bag but I learned about them when I was looking for a replacement tank. That said, I replaced the tank but it's not in a bag, and I'm not aware of any issues.

• Members

I had some time to look at the article. Good stuff but way more than I need. On the Ampeg it's a baisc hardware problem ,it needs good rubber for the mounting screws. The amp is a '67 Gemini 1

Were these tanks made by someone other than Accutronics? It looks to be original but the code is completely different

• Members

I pulled the reverb tank out of the Ampeg. It was made by Gibbs Manufacturing and Research a subsidiary of Hammond made in USA so it is original

There was no trace of the rubber mounting left.so I think we know why it rattled.. A quick trip to the store and I'll be playing it. If it sounds good I won't have time to follow up,Ill be busy enjoying it.

Archived