NCGD

gardo

• Members

Cheap gear ,I had to do it. I work every saturday so I never go to yard sales. Today I happened to drive by one so I stopped, and wouldn't you know they had a neglected electric guitar and a filthy amp for $50. I got them for $30. The guitar is an old Cort Effector ,strat style guitar with a Korean Floyd type trem,no arm.It has a locking nut and a straight neck with what looks like a micro tilt.Thetre are a bunch of on board effects but I'm not expecting much out of them ,if they evevn work The serial numer is 8601000 so I'm guessing 1986

The amp is a Marshall Valvesate VS15R made in England and probably as old as the guitar. The amp works perfecty, filthy looking but works fine.

The guitar status is TBD

I figure I'll clean them up and try them out. If I don't want them I should be able to get my money out of them easy enough.

fetch?id=31529023fetch?id=31529024fetch?id=31529025fetch?id=31529026fetch?id=31529027

• Members
. . . I like those Marshall amps even if they are SS.

They were actually the first hybrid amps with a tube preamp and SS power amp (http://www.guitar-and-amplifier-reviews.com/marshall-valvestate-amp.html). Marshall wanted a more tubelike sound than a typical SS amp. Looks like they were made in the late 90's so gardo's guess as to the age of the amp is off by about 10 years.

• Members

They were actually the first hybrid amps with a tube preamp and SS power amp (http://www.guitar-and-amplifier-reviews.com/marshall-valvestate-amp.html). Marshall wanted a more tubelike sound than a typical SS amp. Looks like they were made in the late 90's so gardo's guess as to the age of the amp is off by about 10 years.

Pretty good DE. I checked the bar code and it was made in May of 1996

The two gains have me a little confused but I'll figure out

• Members

Good idea on Marshall's part to add a tube pre ! That will help warm things up . I guess tho ones i had apart are much older . Behringer has a 15 watter with a tube pre that sounds pretty good too .

• Members

Hmm i sure would like to see inside the amp ! From the Marshall handbook for Valvestate line .

"With the release of our VS15, VS15R , VS30R, VS65R, VS100R & VS102R combos and

VS100H amplifier head, we have produced a range of amplification ideal for a host of different

playing environments. The VS15, VS15R and VS30R are perfectly suited to home practice with clean

and overdrive options, headphone sockets and on the VS15R and VS30R reverb. You will also find

that with any of these models backstage warm-ups have never been so much fun or as inspiring, and in

the case of the VS30R neither has jamming with your friends.

The VS65R, VS100R, VS102R and VS100H will easily handle any of the above applications but

also boast many additional features plus a single ECC83 valve in the pre-amp to add greater sparkle to

clean and extra grind and dynamics to crunch and overdrive settings. This flexibility in addition to

their increased power ratings make these amps ideal for rehearsal and full live performance"

• Members

Hmm i sure would like to see inside the amp !

Ask and you shall receive

It even has a spring reverb ,also looks like someone dropped on the power chord at some point but if it ain't broke,don't fix it

fetch?id=31529389

• Members
Cheap gear ,I had to do it. I work every saturday so I never go to yard sales. Today I happened to drive by one so I stopped, and wouldn't you know they had a neglected electric guitar and a filthy amp for $50. I got them for $30. The guitar is an old Cort Effector ,strat style guitar with a Korean Floyd type trem,no arm.It has a locking nut and a straight neck with what looks like a micro tilt.Thetre are a bunch of on board effects but I'm not expecting much out of them ,if they evevn work The serial numer is 8601000 so I'm guessing 1986

The amp is a Marshall Valvesate VS15R made in England and probably as old as the guitar. The amp works perfecty, filthy looking but works fine.

The guitar status is TBD

I figure I'll clean them up and try them out. If I don't want them I should be able to get my money out of them easy enough.

fetch?id=31529023fetch?id=31529024fetch?id=31529025fetch?id=31529026fetch?id=31529027

Is that a double locking fixed bridge on that Cort?

• Members
Hmm i sure would like to see inside the amp ! From the Marshall handbook for Valvestate line .

". . . The VS65R, VS100R, VS102R and VS100H will easily handle any of the above applications but also boast many additional features plus a single ECC83 valve in the pre-amp to add greater sparkle to clean and extra grind and dynamics to crunch and overdrive settings. . . ."

Well, darn. It looks like they aren't true "hybrid" amps at all, not even the VS65R and above. More like some of the low-end amps Vox makes with a single tube in the preamp. And gardo's amp doesn't even have that. Rats.

• Members
Looks like a Kahler knock-off. The buttons and knobs are interesting. Cool deal.

Plywood ,plastic and cheesey effects what more could I want. I actually can make it sound okay through a good amp . It's an oddball

I got some of the effects working ,the buttons are really dirty but I'm working on them

• Members
Nice score Gardo! Heck even if the guitar is rotten you could do a Pete Townshend bit on your next gig to close the show and scare the beejesus outta some folks!

That might be a little too much for the folks at church

Archived