Gibson Flying V faded - finish question

kadrocker

• Members

I bought a used (but never played) faded Gibson Flying V in cherry. It's been in its gig bag since '06.

Absolutely love this guitar! So very comfortable to play to play. Sounds great, looks great. My dream guitar!

What's the deal with the finish on these faded series guitars- is it thin layer of nitro? Will it wear faster than a standard nitro finished guitar?

I'm playing the hell outta this Flying V and was wondering what it'll look like in ten years.

Another question- is my fretboard a "baked maple" one? If it is- would it of sounded different had it of been rosewood? I love how my V sounds now, just wondering how different wood affects sound.

It has the dot inlays, not the moons.

Again- 2006 faded Gibson Flying V in cherry.

Thanks!

• Members

Basically, it's a thin finish of nitro, never buffed to a gloss. What it will look like in ten years..... well, let me go into my TARDIS..... Where your arm hits it,. will start to gloss. You will naturally buff it as you play. Dings, dents and the tips of the end will be banged up. It's a "V", it was designed that way. OR you could put it back in it's gigbag, and never play it, so it will look the same as it does today.

• Members

Thanks for the reply.

Back in the gig bag? No sir! I got it a year and a half ago and haven't really played it much until two months ago. Boy, was I missing out!

i bought a new MIM Strat back in '05 and I've played the hell out of it. Still looks brand new and shiny as when I bought it. (Other than a few rusty screws) Poly finish I guess?

I plan on playing V as my number one, and I'll play it hard. Not going to beat on it, but it won't be babied. I don't care what it looks like, as long as it sounds and feels good. The character marks are a bonus. Can't wait to see what it looks like in a few years!

• Members
Thanks for the reply.

Back in the gig bag? No sir! I got it a year and a half ago and haven't really played it much until two months ago. Boy, was I missing out!

i bought a new MIM Strat back in '05 and I've played the hell out of it. Still looks brand new and shiny as when I bought it. (Other than a few rusty screws) Poly finish I guess?

I plan on playing V as my number one, and I'll play it hard. Not going to beat on it, but it won't be babied. I don't care what it looks like, as long as it sounds and feels good. The character marks are a bonus. Can't wait to see what it looks like in a few years!

Sounds like you got your head in the right place man. The dings and nicks and wear marks will be battle scars, and proof of where the guitar has been, and who took her there!

Play it like you stole it and enjoy!

I bought a used (but never played) faded Gibson Flying V in cherry. It's been in its gig bag since '06.

(snip)

Another question- is my fretboard a "baked maple" one? If it is- would it of sounded different had it of been rosewood? I love how my V sounds now, just wondering how different wood affects sound.

If your Flying V is from 2006, then it does not have a baked maple fingerboard - it's most likely rosewood. The baked maple fingerboards were introduced a couple of years after the Feds started hassling Gibson over their imported Madagascar ebony and Indian rosewood fingerboard blanks. The raids happened in 2009 and 2011. Don't quote me on this, but I *think* the first baked maple boards showed up around 2011, and were being phased out by the later part of 2012 - in any event, it was well after your guitar was built.

By the way, do you have any pictures of it you could post for us to check out? I'd love to see it. It sounds like a cool guitar! cool.gif

• Members

My friend has a faded SG with the moon inlays. (Which looks killer btw! I'd love to find a moon inlay V).

His fretboard is much darker than mine. Maybe his is ebony? That's the reason I thought mine might of been baked maple because his is so dark.

As for a pic, let me see what I can do. I do 99.9% of any internet activity on my phone. I sometimes have trouble posting a pic to message boards with my phone. Might have to actually fire up the desktop! Stand-by for pic!

• Members

No pics of the V yet. Reason- my wife and I finally got the call for our adoption!!

i have a daughter! She was born on Sunday.

First timer parent here! so beyond excited!

To keep it somewhat music related:

im looking for a mini Epiphone V for her- going to repaint it pink!

If daddy has a Flying V, she needs one too!

• Members

Congratulations. Your life is about to get extremely interesting. The first time I held our daughter, I promised her a convertible for her 16th birthday. Thank goodness she doesn't remember. sm-wink Seriously, there's nothing quite like being a dad. Be sure and love her to death and maybe post a pic or two when you can.

No pics of the V yet. Reason- my wife and I finally got the call for our adoption!!

That's so awesome - congratulations! :philthumb:

As far as an Epiphone Vee-Wee, they're discontinued, but it looks like there are three of them on Ebay at the moment... :)

• Members

Man, Congratulations! And you are departing on the greatest adventure you'll ever have! Nothing will ever eclipse the joy you are about to experience!

But hey...15 years or so from now...You are gonna look at young musicians in an entirely different light. Especially when they come knockin' at your door asking for your daughter. Try to keep things in perspective...Lol. Write yourself a note NOW.

But in the meantime...Enjoy...Revel!

• Members

If your Flying V is from 2006, then it does not have a baked maple fingerboard - it's most likely rosewood. The baked maple fingerboards were introduced a couple of years after the Feds started hassling Gibson over their imported Madagascar ebony and Indian rosewood fingerboard blanks. The raids happened in 2009 and 2011. Don't quote me on this, but I *think* the first baked maple boards showed up around 2011, and were being phased out by the later part of 2012 - in any event, it was well after your guitar was built.

By the way, do you have any pictures of it you could post for us to check out? I'd love to see it. It sounds like a cool guitar! cool.gif

Gibson wasn't "hassled" by the government.

Gibson BROKE the law and reached a plea agreement with the government and payed a fine on the Madagascar ebony.

I know Gibson owns the site now and you're probably "feeling obligated" to present the best face of the new owners....

But let's not white wash history here.

Archived