What's your opinion on 25" scale necks?

ianlange11

• Members

I played a Yamaha Image (MSG) for several years with 10-42 until my band tuned down to A=432 at which point I changed to 10-52.

I also played a Strat and a 335 at the time using the same string gauges. I found that the Yamaha was somewhere in between the Gibson and the Fender in terms of both feel and sound.

oteaae6yydjjfs05wxgz.jpg

• Members

25" scale? Why play a wimpy short scale - man up and get a baritone. Add a few more strings (cables, actually), tune it in the cellar and you've got a real guitar

IMG_2008.jpg

Seriously - my preference is always long scale guitars - I'll always build Gibson clones as 24.75 but my favs are 25 or longer. Increased tension is great for downtuning, slide and the blues.

(the 12 string above is 26.6, tuned C to C and strung really heavy for a 12. It frickin' roars)

• Members

It feels 1/3rd fender and 2/3rd's Gibson, lol.

Personally, I really like the 25 scale, had PRS's, had a custom strat neck made with that scale, the SZ's I've owned are 25.1 so they're close too. It's probably my favorite scale but there is no way in knowing unless you try one.

• Members
I struggle with anything less than 25.5 in terms of the lack of snap and the teeny fret spaces up high' date=' but I've heard great sounds come from them. I definitely don't think a PRS feels more like a Strat than a LP.[/quote']

Yeah it always surprised me but to me it always had more of a strat feel?

• Members

I like 25.5 and tend to 'over slide' when I go like from open to 12th area on a short scale. I have to actually look, but that is just a reflex thing.

Somehow a short scale lacks a feeling of being resonant and alive ( if that wording makes sense?)

• Members

It takes a little time readjusting to the scale length when I switch from one to the other, especially in the upper frets which are closer together on a short scale, but that usually subsides quickly. I have long thin fingers so the distance between frets isn't a big issue on shorter scales. I played Violin for many years and the note fingering is extremely tight.

Short scales tend to be a bit more finicky getting in tune too because small tuner changes make larger differences in pitch. Having high ratio tuners on shorter scale necks helps allot with that.

• Members

I don't see 24.75 as "short scale". I have mainly played that, and play 25.5, and played 25, when I was a Danelectro freak some dozen years or so ago. I honestly don't feel that much of a difference, if the guitar is set up properly. Tonally, the difference between the three is minimal UNLESS it's a 24 fret neck.

• Members

I've always been a Fender guy and whenever I try I can never fully adjust to a 24.75 scale guitar. I'm not sure if it is the scale or the neck's back contour, fretboard radius, or something different all together. However I can see the benefits of just a little less tension. Perhaps the 25.1 is a perfect medium, as its pretty much in the middle of the two?

• Members

IDK, I'm a fan of both short and long scale guitars with some qualifications. I favor 10 - 46 for my string guage as anything less and I hear a decrease in tone and experience an increase in breakage and tuning issues. However, I also have some tendonitis, carpal issues to contend with which makes me favor the playability of short scales. But being that the only guitars I have that are over 25' are Strats (and a Hamer Mirage II) which have trems, I'm able to float the trem in a way in which I have similar tension to my LP types. Long scale hard tails are not for me.

• Members
I like 25.5 and tend to 'over slide' when I go like from open to 12th area on a short scale. I have to actually look, but that is just a reflex thing.

Somehow a short scale lacks a feeling of being resonant and alive ( if that wording makes sense?)

Sure. You don't hear the term " buttery " in reference to many Strats.

• Members

I think they're alright. i prefer les paul or strat scale lengths though. but PRS has their own sound which isn't bad. i don't see why i wouldnt use them. but theyre expensive and i can live without them lol.

Archived