Which Les Paul ?

gardo

Would you get black if you went with the Traditional Pro? If so, that would probably lean it towards the '56 Goldtop for me... but if you went with one of the other colors for the Traditional Pro, it becomes a much harder choice for me.

I like humbuckers and P90s, but if you have other guitars with one or the other in them already, that might be something to consider too. :)

• Members
IF I were to buy an Epiphone LP which one do you like.

1956 PRO or Epiphone Limited Edition Traditional PRO

Gardo:

Have you actually test driven either of these guitars? There's more differences between these guitars than P90s vs humbuckers or goldtop finish vs black finish.

If not, I hope you won't be offended by the fairly fat "D" profile neck that the 50s Pro models have. The Trad Pro has a slimmer 60s profile neck. I like the fatter 50s necks a lot more. More meat = more toan.

• Members

Gardo:

Have you actually test driven either of these guitars? There's more differences between these guitars than P90s vs humbuckers or goldtop finish vs black finish.

If not, I hope you won't be offended by the fairly fat "D" profile neck that the 50s Pro models have. The Trad Pro has a slimmer 60s profile neck. I like the fatter 50s necks a lot more. More meat = more toan.

I haven't.tried the P90 but I liked the trad pro however I could be steered to a different model when it comes time to buy.

• Members
Play the goldtop' date=' and compare the two necks. A WORLD of difference. I LOVE the fatter neck of the goldtop, but you may not dig it. Also, the pickups are.... meh at best.[/quote']

The meh pickups are a big problem. I have no LP I have no P90s so it seemed like an idea worth considering. I haven't had the chance to play one but like the look

When I put down one guitar and pick uo another I notice the difference in the necks but when I'm playing I no longer think about it I adapt easily

• Members
I've never thought a Les Paul looked "right" with P90s so that would be my first criterion. However' date=' I'd want to play both first. Weight, neck feel, sound, all make a difference.[/quote']

Right now I've gone from dreaming to scheming. When the time comes for doing I'll buy the one that just feels right and sounds right. I'll know it when I play it. But for now I'm asking questions and gathering information.

• Members

Both are nice guitars. My own personal preference is the Gold Top. I owned a Deluxe with Minis back in the 70's which I later converted to P90's. I have the 35th Anniversary model with the P100's you see in my Avatar now which is essentially the same thing as the gold top you posted. It is a nice sounding guitar for classic Paul tones. The only negative thing I'd say is it's total gain and drive is less then other guitars but you can always get that from pedals.

The good thing is, if you get tired of the P90's you can install mini Humbuckers without any routing or major mods and essentially convert it to a Deluxe model. With the Mini's you can get a solid classic rock tone ranging from a Johnny Winter guitar sound when driven to a cleaner Almond Brothers sound when you dial them back and still get a decent P90 sound when run clean.

If you're into heavier metal music the a full sized humbucker might be a better choice.

• Members
Phil O'Keefe commented 06-29-2015, 08:51 AM

Editing a comment

Allman Brothers... not Almond. smile.png

That's a HC spell check error.

Just keyed in again to be sure and it automatically made the change without giving an option to leave it as keyed in.

Ya never know, there really is a band called the Almond Brothers

artworks-000095183386-cu080z-t500x500.jpg

• Members
Both are nice guitars. My own personal preference is the Gold Top. I owned a Deluxe with Minis back in the 70's which I later converted to P90's. I have the 35th Anniversary model with the P100's you see in my Avatar now which is essentially the same thing as the gold top you posted. It is a nice sounding guitar for classic Paul tones. The only negative thing I'd say is it's total gain and drive is less then other guitars but you can always get that from pedals.

The good thing is, if you get tired of the P90's you can install mini Humbuckers without any routing or major mods and essentially convert it to a Deluxe model. With the Mini's you can get a solid classic rock tone ranging from a Johnny Winter guitar sound when driven to a cleaner Almond Brothers sound when you dial them back and still get a decent P90 sound when run clean.

If you're into heavier metal music the a full sized humbucker might be a better choice.

I play clean with a little reverb . The mini's are something I hadn't considered.. I've been looking at Epiphones and I don't know if they even offer minis. Some peple say the minis are to shrill,The only mini I have any experience with was a New York mini in an Epi jazz box and that's a different pickup entirely

You have got me thinking more and more about P 90s

• Members

I took a trip out to GC today and came home empty handed.

They got in a used G&L Ascari GT 90 that I wanted to see and was fairly disappointed.,Made in Indonesia, bowed neck and the wood on the fretboard had alot of light coloring that I didn't like. But I tried the P90's and then treid some different Les Pauls.. The one I liked best was the 56. The pickups sounded alot better than the G&L's did. So back to scheming..

• Members
I took a trip out to GC today and came home empty handed.

They got in a used G&L Ascari GT 90 that I wanted to see and was fairly disappointed. . . . treid some different Les Pauls . . . The one I liked best was the 56. . . .

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the G&L. Those are gorgeous guitars but I've never actually played one. Anyway, it's nice that you know sort of which LP is right for you.

• Members

Rule Number Two, buy with your eyes.

I find that if I don't really like the look of a guitar then I don't want to pick her up, even if she plays real sweet like.

Sorry, for me rule one is "Buy with your hands." Color can be changed, tone can be changed, the feel? That can only be enhanced.

• Members

Sorry, for me rule one is "Buy with your hands." Color can be changed, tone can be changed, the feel? That can only be enhanced.

Not sure I have my rules in the right order anyway.

My rule #1 would be it has to cost less then a grand.

#2 it ought to have a wiggle stick.

#3 it can't have a narrow nut width.

4 it does have to feel great.

5 would be that it has to look good to me.

6 would be that I'm willing to break or re-order any of these rules at any time.

Hey, back on topic. If I go for another LP type guitar it will likely be this one,

http://www.rondomusic.com/product7226.html

Just throwing it in the mix. Pretty good demo on this model on Youtube.

Archived