do u believe eddie van halen used to wind his pickups manually (by hand)?

mbengs1

• Members

What?

I know that EVH took apart very nice guitars and experimented with them. I know he put a PAF into a Strat during one of these experimentations. If he claimed that he handwound a pickup, it's possible, but he has a history of lying in interviews. Those early interviews are especially misleading because he didn't want anyone to find out what he was doing.

• Members
What?

I know that EVH took apart very nice guitars and experimented with them. I know he put a PAF into a Strat during one of these experimentations. If he claimed that he handwound a pickup, it's possible, but he has a history of lying in interviews. Those early interviews are especially misleading because he didn't want anyone to find out what he was doing.

I remember reading a interview with him in Guitar Player where he talked about using surfboard wax to repot his pickups. So I did it with an old Kalamzoo Bass pickup, with neither positive nor negative results. But perhaps his hearing is better than mine. He also said that he had sawed a Bigsby in half so he could wang just three of the strings..Which I suppose is plausible.

Couldn't argue with the guy's tone or abilities though. He set the style for a generation of wannabe's.

He said he wasn't influenced by Jimi Hendrix at all. I always felt he was being a bit disengenous about that.

Can you imagine if Hendrix had a Floyd Rose?

• Members
Do u believe eddie van halen used to wind his pickups manually (by hand)?

In the early days, I think he got Valerie Bertinelli and David Lee Roth to wind his pickups when they didn't have much to do, were bored, and weren't as tipsy as Eddie. Later, it was probably Wolfgang or probably the people who mowed the lawns outside the EVH Palace that did all the scatter winding, magnet selection, and potting.

• Members

I believe him. He did some weird stuff.

I remember seeing a picture of a bunch of his guitars and he had pulled the PAF out of the neck position of an 58 or 59 Burst to use in something else - there was just a missing pickup in it. I know he has the 58 and 59, I'm just not sure which one this was.

Then there is the SG he sawed the horn off of so he could hit certain notes, the Destroyer he cut up with a chainsaw and a bunch of other crazy stuff he did - like scratching 5150 into a near mint pre-CBS Strat so that if it got stolen people would know it was his.

He's pretty out there when you see him, but the guy is pretty obsessed with toanz.

EDIT:

oh7p.jpg

Archived